GM/RIM Dealers on ARKONA

GM/RIM Dealers on ARKONA

Postby Richard » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:18 pm

I'm trying to figure out how I can let RIM control certain parts (Filters, chemicals, ect) but I still need to be able to run a QPO order for these parts. How are you getting around this?
Richard

GM/RIM Dealers on ARKONA

Postby gmcgrew » Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:34 pm

Richard I am not on Arkona but I do let RIM contol my filters and chemicals and do QPO orders. The orders have to be done manually. I don't have a problem with this because I have always done my orders for these parts manually to get my orders above the threshold for maximum discounts. Some of the people I have talked with have also went back to the old reorder stickers with the walk around so they know when to place an order. Just make sure that you keep your stock above RIM's order points and put the stock order on your system so RIM sees the parts on order and everything works fine.

------------------
RIM- Oh what a feeling
gmcgrew

GM/RIM Dealers on ARKONA

Postby Richard » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:01 am

The problem is on ARKONA that if you let RIM control a part, you CANNOT manually order it.

I stand corrected.

[This message has been edited by Richard (edited 09-17-2008).]

Richard

GM/RIM Dealers on ARKONA

Postby gmcgrew » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:25 am

Let me see if I understand this correctly, if RIM is controlling a part it can only be ordered by RIM? That is not right at all...not saying your wrong about your system just saying that isn't right. I use manual orders for all of the items that I don't want RIM ordering so I can keep my compliance where they want it but get the parts where I want.

So can you place manual orders for non RIM parts? Do the RIM parts only stop you from placing manual orders if that part is already on order? Do you work with a WD that orders Delco parts for you like RIM does? If you do maybe they would have some insight on how to get around this restriction. I would definiately call ARKONA and inform that this issue needs to be fixed if you can't find a way around it.

One last idea would be to place the order manually in the GM system without placing it on your system. I know this is kind of risky but if the order was placed far enough ahead of the reorder point the parts could be receipted before RIM tried to order.

------------------
RIM- Oh what a feeling
gmcgrew

GM/RIM Dealers on ARKONA

Postby Richard » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:24 pm

That's correct. If RIM controls a part, I cannot add it to an order, which is why I have all my chemicals and fleet pack filters excluded. I also can't do a manual order (say from my local ACD source) on RIM controlled parts. It also means I can't build an "order" on parts I don't want RIM to resend, if you know what I mean

I can build an order to send as QPO or DRO on non-RIM parts that I want to stock.

[This message has been edited by Richard (edited 09-04-2008).]

Richard

GM/RIM Dealers on ARKONA

Postby gmcgrew » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:51 pm

So what happens if RIM orders a part but the part number does not get added to your order. I know this happens to me occasionally and I have to add the part to the RIM order manually so I don't have several ordered because the number is not on order on my system.

So who built the interface with RIM and ARKONA...GM It appears to me that either you don't let RIM control much and pay 4% or you lose a ton of QPO/Delco money. I would order as much from Delco/CQ/NAPA/QPO as I could and only let RIM control the parts I had to. I know GM wants dealers to order more from them but the latest shot might push more business to the aftermarket instead of to them.

------------------
RIM- Oh what a feeling
gmcgrew

GM/RIM Dealers on ARKONA

Postby Richard » Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:00 pm

That's what I want to do, let RIM control as little as possible, and get my 10% discount from my ACD source, and my good discount on my QPO's. My Fixed Ops manager wants me to try to find a way to beat the 4% surcharge AND still do it my way, and the DP wants to see a comparision so he'll know which way we should go. Yet we get mad every month when we do our RIM return, and toss $400+/- worth of parts that GM said we HAD to have 12 months before into the dumpster. I just want to be make my parts department continue to be a profit center, and keep my job.

------------------
GM Certified Parts Manager.
ASE P4 Certified.
Views expressed by the author do not necessarily reflect those of My Employer.
Richard

GM/RIM Dealers on ARKONA

Postby gmcgrew » Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:26 pm

It will take a little work but making a comparison in cost shouldn't be to hard. I would just pull my Delco purchases, CSO orders, and QPO purchases for the last quarter. Should be fairly easy to show cost differential on purchases. I would also pull the list of excluded parts with a cost of inventory increase. That should get his attention.

I would point out the drawbacks of the current DMS system and the fact that to not pay the 4% you will have to add X dollar amount to inventory which will add X dollars of interest and decrease other discounts by X dollars. I would then make that call to ARKONA and have your DP point out how much $$$ they are costing him because of the issue with manual orders and see if they can't fix it.

------------------
RIM- Oh what a feeling
gmcgrew

GM/RIM Dealers on ARKONA

Postby rmerrill1 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:21 pm

You can order RIM parts manually. If you create a forced order you can order what ever you want. If you need help please contact me.
rmerrill1

GM/RIM Dealers on ARKONA

Postby Richard » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Yes, I know I can do forced orders. But, if I let RIM control a part, they order it before I can get a QPO order together. Anyone having any luck setting full bin to '1' so they don't look at those parts? (Oil filters, chemicals, ect)
Richard

Return to DealerTrack-Arkona Users Forum