dealership branding

dealership branding

Postby Rob Kealey » Sat Jan 29, 2000 8:39 pm

The issue of dealership branding as opposed to relying on the vehicle brand to draw business got significant play in the recent issue of Automotive News. I am interested in what others are doing to promote their dealership brand. What does the brand include? Does it extend beyond simply 'we have the best price in town', and do such things as a common operating system (i.e customer handling, service write up, goodwill policies, parts ordering, etc.) when multiple points are involved fall under the aegis of a brand?
Thanks for your input.
Rob Kealey

dealership branding

Postby mbowers » Tue Feb 08, 2000 2:16 pm

Hi Rob

Dealership branding strategies that I've seen certainly go beyond a simple company slogan.

One of the more effective efforts has been by the Faulkner Organization in Philadelphia and central Pennsylvania. Their logo is carried through from signage on the stores to company stationery, key chains, and license plate holders. The company name is always featured more prominently than the vehicle franchise. They might even have a color scheme that carries through from store to store. If they don't, they should. Color and typeface are good ways to create a visual identity.

"Faulkner - to be sure" is the tag line for all advertising.

As much as possible, the dealerships have standardized operating processes and human resources practices.

I hesitate to use the word vision since it's become a cliche, but branding really is an expression of the dealer's vision for his or her business, for better or worse.

Without mentioning any names, I can also think of a few dealers whose "brand" identity is so bad that they change the names of their stores periodically to give the impression of a change in ownership.

[This message has been edited by mbowers (edited 02-08-2000).]

mbowers

dealership branding

Postby larry » Thu Mar 30, 2000 1:24 pm

Rob,

I read the Automotive News section on branding, too. None of the articles really explained the real concept behind branding, which is to become WELL KNOWN for SOMETHING SPECIFIC that is COMPELLING and DIFFERENTIATING. Those are the key terms when it comes to branding.

You know you are well branded when you are well known - and not necessarily to a large audience. It could be to a small market, lkke the few towns right around your dealership.

The best brands are focused on some key benefit or attribute...this is the 'something specific. To be well known for nothing in particular is not the definition of being well branded.

You also have to give a compelling reason or differentiating reason to shop at your store. People remember best those things that are interesting or compelling. Ask yourself, what will compel my customers to choose us? What differentiates you from your closest (same manufacturer) competitor?

All that said, I would brainstorm with a cross section of your entire staff to determine what the core essence of your business is. Something like 'delighting every customer.' The results of that brainstorm session should help clarify a branding statement.

Then, use that statement in every place imaginable...letterhead, web site, print/electronic media ads, billboards, etc. A key element in effective branding is consistency. Stay with that phrase for a generation or two! Then you've got effective branding. Good luck!

Larry Keller
Marketing Director
Rodman Ford Lincoln Mercury

Branding definitely goes beyond "we have the best price" or "we have the biggest inventory."

larry

Return to Dealers & General Managers