Looking for new DMS provider

Postby davedog1 » Wed Feb 27, 2002 10:04 pm

We are in the process of looking for a new DMS provider.Sounds like fun HUH?-NOT.
We are getting rid of our outdated (and overpriced)ADP system (greenscreens). We have looked at most of the PC companies like PBS, ACS, Autosoft, Arkona, Automate and DDS.It is my opinion that most of the true Windows NT systems lack the depth (reports, history, customization etc.) that our Old Unix system has, and frankly the ASP systems scare me to death - However the DDS (Dubuque Data System) seems to have some positive features that we like with their Unix and Windows combination at a price considerably less than what we are paying today.
The Rep from DDS gave me a list of references but I don't want to call from that list.
Does anyone have any experience good or bad with DDS?
davedog1

Postby jdaniel » Thu Feb 28, 2002 8:45 am

You didn't mention what franchise(s) you have, but the roadblock we run into whenever we've looked at the smaller DMS providers is factory communications. (You should see their faces at teh convention when I say "Volvo", then I say "VW" and they start to weep and chase me away). Make sure that whatever provider you look at can REALLY deliver on factory communications.
As far as ASP solutions I have some reservations, too- but check out the "lively" discussion thread on that topic elsewhere in this forum. The right ASP might actually be a good choice if you fully qualify them.
Also, keep in mind that the added power and flexibility of Windows systems, especially on the desktops, comes with added administrative burdens.
Good Luck

------------------
Jack Daniel, MCSE+I, CCNA

jdaniel

Postby wbkski » Thu Feb 28, 2002 6:43 pm

I just came back from NADA. I spent 5 hours with a company that literally blew me away.

I've seen Autosoft, Arcona and a few others. Your're right about the depth of reporting. However, the company I spent time reviewing was not only built by a CPA, but, the CPA happend to be a dealer also. The accounting package is amazing.
I'd be happy to let you know who they are. Please email me at wbkski@yahoo.com.

wbkski

Postby FSWood » Fri Mar 01, 2002 8:41 am

Our GM and CDJ stores have been with PBS for 2+ years now and we have been extremely happy. I recommend them to everyone I talk to.

------------------
FSWood

Postby woodman » Fri Mar 29, 2002 7:57 am

If you happen to be a Chrysler product dealer, take a look at a new player in the market, INTEC Automotive Systems. PC based system, based on Navision software. They are limiting themselves to Chrysler dealers due to the DCS factor mentioned above. They can already communicate over web with Chrysler and pull VIP's automatically.
woodman

Postby callbob » Fri Mar 29, 2002 11:21 pm

See for yourself, go to the NADA WEB Site and take a look at the DMS Provider Survey. It was done by Pros and is very telling Some vendors are crying in their beer (guess what - the ones with poor ratings) I do not like the CSI scores I get sometimes - especially when we were wrong and screwed up.

Do you notice any similarity between the "BIG" DMS providers and the Big 3 Auto Manufacturers of 20 some years ago (some of us still remember Carter/Gas Guzzler/20% interest) They are ignoring the desires of the dealers and selling high cost, antiquated systems. It took the Big 3 a while to wake up.

The "small" DMS provider can allow your competitor to gross $100's less then you and still not be in the RED. Hope my competitor keeps his head in the sand. I looked around and save $4,000+ a month and lost no functions (I actually gained some)

Have great Easter and happy selling.
callbob

Return to Dealers & General Managers