Information Safeguards Rule

Postby Batty » Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:24 pm

What is going on in your dealership with the Safeguards Rule and proctecting customer information?

I am the compliance manager for a group of stores in a large metropolitian area. We have an extensive program. The question is have we made our program too labor intensive?

Would love to hear what is going on around the country!
Batty

Postby texaslp » Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:16 am

It can get to the point that it's so cumbersome that you can hardly do business.The main thing I do is walk around the showroom on a regular basis and make sure nothing sensitive is left lying around in plain view and we constantly remind slsp to keep paperwork put away.
texaslp

Postby Batty » Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:05 pm

As you do the walk arounds do you document any of the violations that are found? If the FTC were to send your dealership a letter requesting the steps that have been taken over the last three years, what would your dealership be able to provide?

As I said in the first post, we have a pretty extensive program in place. We are looking to roll it out to other stores, but there are those that think our process is into overkill, which is why I am trying to find out what others are doing. Thanks for your reply!
Batty

Postby texaslp » Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:21 pm

I don't document what I find but we do document meetings/training. It's also included in our handbook and a reminder in our annual ee meetings. I think basically you have to do what you can that is reasonable and certainly do those things that are easy to do. We've started out with small steps, and we will tighten them if we feel that the risk increases or see a specific need to implement further steps.
texaslp

Return to Dealers & General Managers