Pre-Owned Inspection Process Who Is Responsible?

Postby bsilcox » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:58 pm

Ladies and Gentlemen I need some HELP!
And I know that these forums can get me the answers I need to improve my Operations! The Questions I have are:
Re: Pre-Owned Service Inspection Process: This is our current process please see If any of you can see any HOLES in the process; PLEASE....And I will tell you THANK You for any and all imput into this issue......
1: Vehicle gets traded into the Sales Dept. the vehicle gets stocked in, tagged with a stock tag and parked in a holding area.
2: Daily the Owner, Sales Mgrs, Interested Sales Persons and the Service Recon Person walk the Trade Ins. The Pre-Owned Manager with the imput of the owner and the other Sales Manager mark the Vehicle as an A B C D vehicle and write on the window what they want done at that point and a Pre-Authorized Dollar Amount normally $300.00 to $700.00. Sometimes up to $1300.00. When it is in the HIGH range it normally includes Pre-owned Inspection we charge 1.0 @ $125.00, LOF Gas $42.06 Diesel $88.79, Detail $135.00, Windshield $199.99, Tires! Tires are priced at $20.00 over cost and $95.00 mount and balance for 4 tires.........
3: The vehicle goes into the shop immediately after the approval from the Sales Dept. we are OK to do any and all repairs up to the approved dollar amount. During the inspection if we find anything on the Inspection we are to go to the Pre-Owned Sales Mgr. and/or other Sales Mgr. for approval of the other work! If the Sales Dept. decides that they are going to FIX and/or Repair the vehicle to Service Standards they approve the additional work and Service gets it done. We only have 72 hours from the time they approve the vehicle to get it serviced, detailed and on the front line...............
4: All is OK at this time. Anything that does not get approved the Service Dept. based on the Service Managers request are to document the Service, Repairs or Maintenance as an RND recommended not done. The RND Op Code is to be used on the repair order so everyone can see that there was work recommended by the Servicing Techncians that was not approved. Still everything is OK at this time. Here is where the concern comes into play. The Sales Mgrs. Do not want to see the RND code on the repair order because they may show the repair order to the customer, this is their statement in the effect of the RND code. So here is the real issue?
5: If Service does not document the RND the Sales Mgrs. Expects the Service Dept. to pay for all repairs that the customer may want done. If we do document the RND they will pay for the repairs the customers wants done. The next issue is If we do document the RND and the Service Department Techncians misses something or the Recon Person misses something the Sales Mgrs. Wants the Service Dept. to pay for the Recon cost with NO respect for the cost of the repairs because the Service Dept. is paying.........

1: Whats policies do you use?
2: Who pays for what?
3: Why; if the Service Dept. is paying why there is a difference of attitude what gets FIXED?????
4: Here is my real QUESTION as Managers are we not totally responsible to the DEALERS Money? Should we not all respect the FACT that we are spending the Dealers Money?

Again; I am Thanking you in advance for any feedback on this issue!!

Bob Silcox 970-566-1038 bsilcox2004@msn.com for feed back if you dont want to do it in the forum

------------------
Fixed Ops Rhino

bsilcox

Postby Old Irish » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:19 pm

A couple short answers...I'm on my lunch hour...may add more later. I could spend hours on this.

We have Reynolds and Reynolds. All "repair declined" notes are put into the comments section of "vehicle information" (job 3040) so they are "attached" to the VIN as a matter of record but they don't show on the invoice.

Service Dept pays for after-sales-repairs IF the repair in question is something we should have discovered during the usual inspection process. We handle these case-by-case and determine what is 'reasonable'. Metal-to-metal brake pads certainly should have been discovered by service department. But it wouldn't be reasonable to expect that we should "discover" that an ABS light would come on a week after the sale

It would NOT be reasonable to expect that, for instance, and intermittant CD player problem be discovered. It WOULD be reasonable to expect that a totally inoperative CD player be discovered.

Cheers
DD
Old Irish

Return to Dealers & General Managers