Sales Department Customer Worksheets...

Postby SalesQ » Tue Feb 05, 2002 7:15 pm

I am the GM of a mid-size metro GM/Import dual with annual unit sales volume of about 1350 new and used. I would like some feedback on:

1. Utilizing SS# on customer worksheets and pre-processing credit bureaus during the selling process.

2. The structure of the pencil back to the customer. Do you use MSRP - Mfr. Rebate - Dealership Discount = Sale Price, etc.? And, do you clearly outline the pricing policy as such?

3. How are trades best addressed these days?

Curious to hear feedbakc, as we try to adjust our processes and tools to ease the selling process for managers, salespeople, and customers.

SalesQ

Postby perl » Wed Feb 06, 2002 5:06 pm

if you are serious about it
look at a new product called elead
at eleadtrack.net
i am thinking about jumping in with both feet
or pushing the panic button with both hands
perl

Postby SalesQ » Thu Feb 07, 2002 2:54 pm

Appreciate the response perl, but I am focusing on a $0 budget increase at this point. The questions really apply to processes and the structure and utilization of the worksheet within the process. We want to keep it simple...

Thanks for the reply.
SalesQ

Postby MGlynn » Sat Feb 16, 2002 1:46 pm

1. We do not use SS#'s or do any sort of 5 liner prior to finance TO. We are a Buick-GMC store and believe that preliminary inquiries into the credit worthiness of customers (which always comes across as questioning someone's credit) does more harm than good.
2.We have the salesperson present the first pencil in their writing as a nominal discount from MSRP. Trades are presented as MSRP less trade allowance.

I would be interested in other's opinions on the subject.

------------------
MGlynn

Postby SalesQ » Tue Feb 19, 2002 1:44 pm

Thanks for weighing in MGlynn. We feel a bit
the same. We plan to include the 5-Liner format, but make it part of a flex process. As for the pencil back to customer, we are leaning toward a very structured pricing format with a pre-discounted price, clear trade evaulation, and rebate to allow for a clear pricing option for the customer. Nyone else have any thoughts to share?
SalesQ

Postby davidmc » Fri Feb 22, 2002 1:29 am

You would think with all the opinions on desking deals that you would have had about 50 responses by now. Hopefully everyone is busy selling.

My first question would be why are you wanting to change your current process. You said you wanted to ease the process for managers, sales people, and customers???
Is your closing ration down, are your profits per unit down. What part of your process is hard for managers and sales people?

The process we have used for a very long time utilizes the ss# on worksheets with processing the credit score at some point during the negotiations if warranted. We also start every deal at MSRP and use a range in the trade allowance. It also gives the customer a payment at a specified % rate. The same rate is used for every customer. Our process requires the proper set up and the proper delivery to the customer by the salesperson. If the setup is done properly by the salesperson, we have very rarely had any negative responses from customers. Because we have a very good closing ratio, and very good gross average per unit, the managers and salespeople are welcomed to the process.

Would be glad to go into more of the process if you think it is something you want to hear about, and again let me know what your major objective is in changing your current process.

[This message has been edited by davidmc (edited 02-22-2002).]

[This message has been edited by davidmc (edited 02-22-2002).]

davidmc

Postby sallen1 » Sat Feb 23, 2002 10:00 am

I think you need to be very careful where and how you use customer SS#'s. Privacy laws are pretty tight (at least in CA). The last thing you need is a lawsuit over mis-handling of customer data.

scott
sallen1

Postby SalesQ » Thu Mar 14, 2002 4:43 pm

I would agree about the lack of response. I hope everyone is busy delivering units! Anyhow, we have made some decisions after canvassing some other dealers off-line. Many processes out there to study, but many of the same core fundamentals in place. We are going to scrap the 5-liner for now, but rather employ a more pro-active F&I role in deal process.

As for the pencil back, we are going to focus on MSRP and go from there. We already have a strong training program in place, so we will make some adjustments in word tracking. The biggest change will be adding Closers on the floor to assist Desk Managers. Looking for a 90-day rolling average of 167 units within 12 months. Thanks for the input.
SalesQ

Return to Dealers & General Managers