The dealership culture wars

Postby calgm988 » Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:59 am

kcatdeejay

I wouldn't argue about the fact that your a qualified individual...speaking on behalf of your experiences. Indeed there are dealers who let their managers run amuck. Those dealers often crash and burn due to mis-managed monies, theft, excessive debt practices and poor management. But, to say that one in thirty is qualified is more than perposterous.

It's true that dealerships fail because the owner doesn't care enough to watch his/her responsibility in the dealership. That only lends credibility and exaggerates my point on leadership. Does it not?

I have never given a speach at NADA (though I truly wish I could)but that doesn't reduce the validity of my point. There are many qualified, knowledgeable and passiontate people still left in this business. All we have to do is recruit, train and pay the RIGHT way. This business has overpaid underqualified individuals for its entire existance. Until the industry is willing to change its practices your prediction will come to fruition.

Look, we're still paying our people the way they were paid 20 years ago. We're still hiring the same way we did 20 years ago. It's a leadership issue...enough said.

------------------
"focus on the purpose, not the outcome."
calgm988

Postby kcatdeejay » Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:30 pm

'Nuff said-it was a good exchange.
kcatdeejay

Postby calgm988 » Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:53 pm

Your right! It's been a hot topic. The conversation has been debated from every angle.

I really enjoy the benefit of having others share their perspectives and allowing me to share mine. It's become evident that there are a lot of well-minded individuals who share valuable insight...thanks

------------------
"focus on the purpose, not the outcome."
calgm988

Postby Gerry Laughlin » Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:45 pm

test
Gerry Laughlin

Postby casey97 » Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:03 pm

I'm just a Parts Manager at a midwest dealer but thought I would reply to this thread. My father once told me "If you take care of the business it will take care of you" I have tried to use this since I started here 15 years ago. And thats why I'm still here, they take of me. The other thing to remember is CSI
C= Customer
S= Supports
I=Income
casey97

Postby carwars » Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:15 pm

As a service manager many things from all depts.fall on my plate.You have to be a thinker and be creative and instill this in your people.When everyone is playing guard dog for themselves or their depts.They need to change.But sometimes the principals themselves condone this thinking it is saving money when it is the opposite.Effective managers work together.
carwars

Postby kcatdeejay » Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:44 pm

carwars, I kind of allluded to this in my post of June 12th. I feel very strongly that some try to keep this type of animosity going for whatever their reason.
kcatdeejay

Postby cantfind122 » Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:31 am

I beleive there is a psychological component in this dynamic that rarely explored but intrinsic to human nature. It always plays out but is never conscious. Ask yourself this question. What is the resource you can use and never get back. Of course it is time and is the basis of all succesful business in this day and age. People think they go to Wal-Mart for price but Wal-Mart knows its for convenience and so they use price as a justifier. It works from a marketing standpoint. But it does not bear out if consumers pay attention. Who has that kind of time. There is a practice in traditional business called built in apathy. It is not taught at your local University, but it is practiced on an every day basis. I think many of us are very removed from the foundation we work. We are focused on the wrong reasons. Many people hear the quote "money is the root of all evil".... the correct phrase is "the persuit of money is the root of all evil"
cantfind122

Postby mhambaum » Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:12 pm

Greetings,

One of the expectations my DP as of me as the training manager is to get all departments working as a team - pulling the cart in the same direction, as he likes to say.

While training helps, there are other influences. I concur, as most others here seem to, that compensation plans are stumbling blocks.

Scot Strong in his reply said that his dealer has this figured out. Scot, if you read this, would you care to elaborate on what your dealer has done? And if there's anyone else who has this figured out, PLEASE give chime in!

Regards,
Mark Hambaum

------------------
Mark D. Hambaum
mhambaum

Postby cantfind122 » Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:43 pm

Okay,

I try to be P.C. but I get caught every time. Let me spew here as the blue collar plebian I am. I now have to opportunity to view the entire dynamice as a U.N. observer sees Iraq. There is what is and what could be. DP's, GM's, OverLords whatever you want to call them promise "what is possible" if you dot all I's cross all Tee's and pay attention to ALL disclaimers. Then you have to stand up and further your cause when they don't come through. True some folks make out....realistically most don't. The trade is the safe and tedious corportae world ( I have resided there for about 20 years now). They pay less and take away your entrepeneural spirit but they are slow paced and safe. And so goes the battle of life. I will say, however, I am dis-heartened on a monthy basis watching well intentioned, ethical, good spirited people being not being placed and used advantagously by the average dealer.
cantfind122

PreviousNext

Return to Dealers & General Managers