The dealership culture wars

Postby carwars » Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:13 pm

Is'nt it ironic that the managers that fight over $15.00 or so billed to their dept.are also the ones having affairs,going thru a divorce,doing drugs or are putting sub-prime used cars on the street with no funding?HA.Just an observation.If we can't have any fun whats the point?
carwars

Postby calgm988 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:11 am

This is an interesting debate. A topic that goes on and on from year to year. It's been said that pay-plan structures have a lot to do with coheesiveness in a dealership, or that its truly the "staff" that has control. I believe it's the leadership that sets the standard. Do you hire good people? Do they know what is expected of them? How many department managers have a job description? Do they know how to coach, counsel and condition?

My take on this subject is that it comes from the top. Does the GM, D.P. and other department managers set the right tone? Sometimes its having the wrong person in the wrong position but becuase of various reasons their afraid to make a change. Wrong people in the wrong positions can really elevate a bad situation. If the G.M. or D.P. take thier time and hire the right mangers, they in turn will hire the right people.

After all that, I agree with the original post. Everyone has to have the goal to make the customers experience the best. It's not the boss who will decide to fire you, but rather the customer who decides to fire you...and that's bad.
calgm988

Postby GMFXDOPSMGR » Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:34 pm

I have been in 2 stores that we did not have much of the bickering that is common in dealerships. In both stores, the DP or GM made us talk out any issues with employees from a different department..salesman getting mad at an advisor for not covering something under warranty...I and the sales manager discussed the persons to determine if it is them or the issue. Management stuck together on dealership P & P and we had a more coherent work force. If we have another department employee getting into it with one of ours, we step in and seperate them, then address the issue with the manager. We always "try" to support each other when we have issues with employees, this takes the fuel out of the fire when employees see one manager go after another manager. They want to support their manager and the battle begins. When the managers are on the same page and agree to agree, the employees are more at ease. Sure issues come up that managers have to go to a "quiet place" to discuss differencies, but it can work. We usually discuss and rectify any differencies in the privacy of the staff meetings or if needed, in the GM's office. It can be a pleasure to work at some stores. This one I am at now is one of those stores....

------------------
Tom Edwards
GMFXDOPSMGR

Postby kcatdeejay » Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:43 pm

Just because you played a mean second base, doesn't qualify you to coach the team. Glorified salesmen, mechanics and counter people are just that-promoted well beyond their level of competency and I've seen it happen time and time again. Keep doing the same thing but continue to expect different results......?? The dealers expect these people to learn by osmosis-of, course, the persons they are emulating were stellar performers in their own right, correct? I wonder if there is a deep-seated fear that a cohesive group of employees could be difficult to impose one's will on them. I know it works, but so few want to do what's necessary to make it happen.
kcatdeejay

Postby calgm988 » Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:21 am

"The dealers expect these people to learn by osmosis-of, course, the persons they are emulating were stellar performers in their own right, correct?"

Wow! That's an amazing comment. Dealers and GM's hire "these people" because they believe they can do the job. They're sold by the potential employee and their past history. While I agree the hiring process should be slowed, it is difficult to find people who can "actually coach and play". Every dept. manager must make themseleves accountable for develping a coheesive team. Teams start and end with their leaders...uhmm thats' you.

Let's be clear about one thing. It is the leader (whether it is the GM or DP) that sets the tone for what he/she wants to get out of a dealership environment. If the leader doesn't expect teamwork, high levels of customer service and energy...well then? You will always get what it is you give.

------------------
"focus on the purpose, not the outcome."
calgm988

Postby texaslp » Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:36 pm

"Just because you played a mean second base, doesn't qualify you to coach the team."
That's a good way to put it, and yes, we've all seen it.

"Glorified salesmen, mechanics and counter people are just that-promoted well beyond their level of competency and I've seen it happen time and time"

I don't agree with this statement though it may be true sometimes. I don't see it so much as beyond their level of competency but beyond their level of training.

texaslp

Postby kcatdeejay » Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:39 pm

calgm988, I was actually referring to in-dealer promotions of such people. It was not intended to mean that upward mobility wasn't a desired option in these fields. You have to start somewhere. I merely meant that many times I have seen the promotions of 'never be ready for prime time players'.

texaslp,this was not an all-encompassing statement. Being thrown into the deep end of the pool doesn't always yield a swimmer. Many times in these forums the question is raised, 'I just got named manager of (blank)department-what do I do now?.

PS-Please note post in Parts Mgr forum under "Rookie Parts Mgr'-I rest my case.

[This message has been edited by kcatdeejay (edited 06-13-2007).]

kcatdeejay

Postby calgm988 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:38 am

kcatdeejay, I understand your comments better now however, I still believe its a leadership issue. If certain people are promoted and recieve little or no training well then, it's a leadership issue.

Training should come from those who supervise. That being said, if one is promoted into a "role" and gets no formal training...it's the leaders fault. That being said, we should understand then that the results one gets is directly proportional to the training given. Often a person is promoted out of "loyalty" and not becuase they're good at what they do. That can sometimes work but often fails due to no training.

Conflicts happen when that person who's had no "leader" training tries to manage by mirroring their previous manager. Then we wonder "where are all the good people?" Until our industry (majority)puts it's focus on developing quality people instead of recycling unqualified people, we will continue to see conflicts.

------------------
calgm988

Postby kcatdeejay » Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:34 pm

Absolutely without a doubt,calgm988, it is a leadership issue or the lack of. I have seen the 'loyal' promoted many times in the last 30-40 years with pretty much predictable results. It has been my experience that 'long time #2's' seldom become very good managers. Staying in that protective cocoon for too long seems to stifle their growth. If one doesn't manifest 'manager-like' qualities prior to their promotion, more times than not they never seem to develop. I always shared my knowledge with any and all who worked for me because when I was absent, I wanted that place to run like a fine watch. It cost me at least one job because the PHD I worked for had no concept of empowering people and thought the place running well in my absence meant I was no longer needed.
kcatdeejay

Postby calgm988 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:52 pm

It cost me at least one job because the PHD I worked for had no concept of empowering people and thought the place running well in my absence meant I was no longer needed.

Amazing isn't it? You probably didn't want to work there anyway. Plus the 'ol PHD is probably still trying to replace you! Good people always pay for themselves. Quality is our people, people are the face of our business.

One of my favorite quotes "Empowerment is what leaders give to their people. Self leadership is what people do to make empowerment work". - taken from Ken Blanchards, "Leading at a higher level".

------------------
calgm988

PreviousNext

Return to Dealers & General Managers