The dealership culture wars

Postby PHoskins » Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:38 pm

My experience has been that each department's employees "always" know how the other departments should be doing there job but have yet done that job. Let them walk a mile in the other person's shoes. Their attitude and respect will change.
PHoskins

Postby DealerProfit » Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:06 am

PHoskins,

We all know the symptoms.... Ithought we were discussing real solutions.................
DealerProfit

Postby helpers1 » Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:59 pm

Actually, PHoskins has hit a great solution on the head. We have a great working interdepartmental relationship in our dealer group, and although it's not perfect, it seems we are enjoying a much better relationship than many. When new managers are hired in any dept, they must spend a day working in the other depts with the managers of those depts. That, and hiring the right people, with the right attitude go a long way. Might not work for all, but it works for us.
helpers1

Postby PHoskins » Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:53 pm

My reply is based largely upon performing many different duties at a dealer. I have been a parts warehouse manager, parts counterman, service advisor, dispatcher, parts manager, service manager, body shop manager and fixed ops manager. What I learned from this is that every employee needs to treat others as customers not fellow workers. It also made me rethink my "parts man ATTITUDE" which 90% of parts countermen have or develop. I realize it is not realistic to expect a counterman to sell cars but as a manager it opened my eyes to an improved management style which is where it all starts no matter what department you are managing.
PHoskins

Postby kcatdeejay » Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:01 pm

PHoskins, I truly believe that a culture such as that can and should be fostered in a dealership or any business, for that matter. It takes time and more than lip-service to accomplish it but the environment is so great to work within.
kcatdeejay

Previous

Return to Dealers & General Managers