CRM's

CRM's

Postby Gerry Laughlin » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:55 am

Dale and Linda,
I really do not want to hi-jack the thread this was started on so I thought I would go with a new one.
We have had a CRM in this store for a few years now, and not once have I seen anything happen that wasnt done to placate the system. The managers do not use it to accomplish anything, no reports, no follow-ups or anything. As a parts manager I liken it to having a special order system to track special orders, but not using it to call the customers when their parts come in. Now this might seem to be an isolated phenomenon, but the last two stores I have been at treated the CRM the exact same way. The last store had the DMSs CRM which was just so overwhelming that trying to keep that going would have been a full time job. At this store we have been in discussions with another CRM vendor because the sales manager is more familiar with it, but personally I feel as though it would just be easier for him to placate that system, I doubt he would run reports or follow-ups on that any more than he does now, but it would be easier to keep it off his butt. It seems to me that most sales managers would rather have no CRM, and only have them because the owners or GMs want them in place.
My own opinion is that primary reason for this is that most CRMs are Goliaths, when the sales managers want a David, small and quick. As a parts manager I would find it impossible to run my department without a good management system, but it appears as though the Sales types view the CRM as an evil pushed on them by upper management. I have been tasked with reviewing our current CRM status and coming up with a system that is actually going to be used. I welcome any comments.
Gerry
Gerry Laughlin

CRM's

Postby jazdale » Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:42 pm

Gerry

Here's my perspective.

A CRM system does not make a dealership CRM-minded.

But, a CRM-minded dealer immediately sees the value in a system and will strive to get the most out of it's functionality.

In my travels, it appears that a sales force fears accountability. Its so common for a rep to only load the prospects that are ready to buy - thus showing a near 100% closing ratio.
But a CRM-minded dealer will say something along the lines of "I don't care if they just came to go to the bathroom - get their phone number and mailing address."

In capturing 100% of the prospects, your database will grow expotentially, thus increasing your target marketing efforts.
In a 100 car/month store, 600 people will contact you. Thats a lot of lost opportunity - especially painful when you figure $40 an UP in advertising cost.

Last item - using user-friendliness as an excuse to not use the system.
If you're not CRM-minded, you can find a zillion reasons to not load the prospects - this being the easiest excuse, since management rarely knows how to build a prospect file.
But if you are CRM-minded, you'll find ways to make it work. It needs to be managed. There is no such thing as a management-free system. Not just the system, but your processes, too. Otherwise, it will fall into abandonment.

Shopping for a CRM system can be a tough chore. The demo always looks good.
Simplicity, flexibility, integration, reportability, stability, supportability, accountability, are all items that come to light after the smooth sales pitch and installation.

Good luck with your task.

jazdale

CRM's

Postby texaslp » Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:44 am

In my experience with CRM products, it is as you've alluded to usually the people and the process that fail-not the system. The cure that we've found is to have one dedicated CRM person who drives the system. We also have a secretary in the office who does the input and prints out daily work plans. Our dealer designed and monitors regular correspondence to customers. It took a little while, but sales mgmnt began to see the benefits and have now bought into it. Left entirely up to sales mgnmt to drive the system, it won't happen.

You probably don't need a new system. Sounds like you need a new process and someone to make sure the process is followed.
texaslp

Return to Dealers & General Managers