Reynolds and Reynolds

Reynolds and Reynolds

Postby dodge1 » Fri Feb 19, 1999 2:52 am

A few months ago our Dealership purchased an application developed by Reynolds and Reynolds called "SalesVision." According to R&R, This application is supposed to be a dream come true. They say it allows the Salesperson to keep a detailed record of every client he or she comes in contact with, automatically schedule and track follow-up calls and letters, search your Dealership's inventory, and even work deals from the Salesperson's PC. There's a lot of other useful features that Managers can use too, such as a report that tells you whether your staff is following up on their clients or what vehicles are in demand at your store.

When I first heard of this application I thought it had a lot of potential. Now I think it't just another R&R rip-off. The application crashes all the time, my staff hardly ever uses it because it's too complicated, the reports are often very inaccurate, and their support staff is incompetent and inconsiderate. But the worst part of it is the price we paid: over $120,000 for just 10 PCs and a painfully slow Database Server. For this price we could have had a real application created by a professional software development firm.

Does anybody else out there use this software? If so, what is your opinion of it? Does it do everything you were told it would do? Have you found any serious bugs? Are you satisfied with the results you're getting? Thanks in advance for your replies.

Mark Eaton
Systems Administrator
Haddad Motors

[This message has been edited by dodge1 (edited 02-22-99).]

dodge1

Reynolds and Reynolds

Postby MARY SHERICK » Sun Feb 28, 1999 11:37 pm

OUR NETWORK DOES HAVE THE SALESVISION OPTION FROM REYNOLDS. IT WILL DO ALL THE THINGS THAT REYNOLDS SAYS IT WILL, BUT ONLY IF IT IS USED RELIGIOUSLY BY THE SALES FORCE, AND MANAGERS. IN PRACTICE, MOST SALESPEOPLE USE IT TO SPEC OUT ORDERS,OBTAIN PRICING FOR CUSTOMERS AS QUICKLY AS POSSIBLE,ESPECIALLY GM EMPLOYEES. ONE NICE FEATURE OF THE SYSTEM IS THAT YOU CAN ALSO COMPARISON PRICE AGAINST OTHER GM MAKES IF A CUSTOMER IS SHOPPING SIMILAR VEHICLE IN ANOTHER GM LINE. YOUR SALES FORCE MAY JUST NOT WANT TO HAVE TO USE A COMPUTER, OR MAY THINK IT IS MORE COMPLICATED THAT IT IS. ARE YOU TRYING TO TEACH OLD DOGS NEW TRICKS?
MARY SHERICK

Reynolds and Reynolds

Postby Kevin Kavanagh » Mon Mar 01, 1999 2:58 pm

This forum issue is an example of what is going to happen as the vendors create new PC based applications. At the recent NADA convention the major vendors were showing complex data-warehouse applications that will increase the complexity of dealership systems. These systems also point out the inherent problems with solutions implmentation. You purchased a solution for your customer contact and you didn't receive it, why?

In a typical sale/installation of a new system or application the assumption is made by the vendor that you know how you are going to implement this solution. An application like Sales Vision requires the following implementation process for success.
1) A stated set of goals that the system/application is to help to achieve.
2) A thorough, objective review of your sales process and staff to evaluate the ability of this application to achieve those goals.
2) An understanding of what areas of your process that may need to be re-evaluated, modified or eliminated to maximize the effectiveness of the application.
3) An evaluation of how you would implement this new technology into your modified processes.
4) A transfer of ownership plan, for the program, to the end user in this case sales. This plan helps them undestand WII-FM (What's In It For ME).
5) The buy in of the people that have to use the system to make it work!
6) An ongoing commitment by management to the success of these programs.
7) A committment for investing in ongoing training on the process and application.

These new PC based technologies also point out the new need for in-house systems quilified employees. As these PC based systems grow you will need to have in-house network engineers to maintain the systems. Why? Because:
a. These systems are new to the vendors as well and 1-800-HELP will not be very effective for a while.
b. PC's lock up and networks go down!
c. As these applications continue to grow in mission critical area's of the dealership you will not be able to wait for help.

The dealership industry is crying out for PC based application. The vednors are starting to deliver their version of this solution. Welcome to progress! The good news is help is available. The vendors will get better with the implmentation and understanding of PC based applications and there are qualified third party consultant that can help you today.

------------------

Kevin Kavanagh

Reynolds and Reynolds

Postby Pat » Fri Jun 04, 1999 4:46 pm

Wow!

Let me address and bring some light to the first posting from Dodge1. Mark was a 19 year old "tech Head" That replaced me when I went to work for Reynolds and Reynolds. I was the original Admin for the SalesVision System, and when i worked for Reynplds my job was to install and train dealerships to use this system.

Mark had a BIG problem with all the computers in the dealership. I have never had a problem with SalesVision. It has brought new customers in, and retained the old. Indeed it works as promised.

When I returned to the dealership I found the system to be unused, and not maintained. Now that things have been put back to normal it is working great again.

Signed
Pat Evans
Haddad Dodge
THE ORIGINAL DODGE1!
Pat

Reynolds and Reynolds

Postby Michael White » Sun Jun 06, 1999 2:27 am

We use R&R sales vision in our dealership. It is a lot of work, but is a great program. Everyone should have it. It is pricey and requries almost a dedicated person to run all the features it has if you are a moderate to large dealer
Mike White
Michael White

Return to Dealers & General Managers