Distant Learning

Distant Learning

Postby Alan Nicholson » Sat Jun 19, 1999 12:45 pm

It is so discouraging to be unable to get the answers to so many questions these days. Distant learning is but another example of GMs decay, in starting new programs without having trained personnel available to assist dealers.. While I am not surprised, it continues to amaze me. I am not at all against change or in pushing the envelope, I do believe in having ample, competent and well trained people available after the launch to assist dealers during the transition.

Concerning "distant learning" I see in the program rules, that multi-line GM dealers only has to provide this system in one of his/her stores. This is an interesting point which brings me to our situation. In our town, there are three GM Dealers. I am proposing to all of our local dealers, that we set up two training rooms in the local Tech center, ( And they have agreed to the use of their facilities ) pay one fee of $1600.00 per month, share the training site and expenses among each local dealer, pro-rated based on each dealers planning potential and proposed GM charges. We currently drive 1 to 3 hours for our training classes, so across town, 10 to 15 minutes should be a breeze. Shared use and shared expense would at least bring the dealers cost to a much more agreeable figure. Wondering if this has crossed anyone elses mind and if anyone else has ask GM this question?

It is my opinion, this entire change is about money and not at all based on helping the dealer. Think about this: 10,000 dealers paying an average of $1,000 each month to GM for this new distant learning is a nice little sum of $10,000,000.00 each and every month. With 12 months in the year, GM now has a new cash cow generating $120,000,000.00 per year. This cant be a realistic charge for GM dealers and I have to ask our Dealers, WHERE IS THE OUTRAGE?

Alan Nicholson

Distant Learning

Postby sallen1 » Mon Jun 21, 1999 9:08 am

We signed up for the distance learning program for $650 per month for each dealership ($1300 total). I wanted to get just one system and do combined training, but from the system people, there would be confusion over who did what test and for what dealership did that person work at. I think this is strange since the testing would be attached to a soc. sec. number and not the dealership... Also, we have always sent techs to the training center and they were able to figure out who did what.

My ultimate analysis of the program went like this: We have about 30 people signed up for 'craftsmen league' at each shop for about $20 per month per tech. That's $600 right there. When we had a Pontiac dual we had to pay double for that program. It adds up quick for multi-line stores. Then there was the $100 per day per person we paid when we sent someone to school (avg. 10 days per person per year for annual total $20,000). We also found out that for 8hrs 'school day' there was only 3-4hrs actual school and a bunch of wasted time (travel, etc.). There was also big waiting times to get the appropriate training, especially for new products. Have you been able to get what you want, when you want it? How much $$ does it cost you indirectly to provide training?

While the $10,000,000 per month paid to this program may be accurate, its money you're spending anyways and MAYBE this new program will let the shop get better, cost effective and more timely training.

scott

[This message has been edited by sallen1 (edited 06-21-99).]

sallen1

Return to Dealers & General Managers