Process Improvement Teams

Postby SDAWSON » Thu Jul 29, 1999 5:42 pm

What experience has anyone had with process improvement teams. Have just begun one that seems to be very good with keeping focused on the topics we have selected as a team.I was hoping to get feed back on how the processes your process improvement teams came up with were implimented. Also what kind of stumbling blocks you encountered along the way.
SDAWSON

Postby Michael White » Fri Jul 30, 1999 12:05 am

We have had several. One of the most improtant things I see in the prcess is to make the goals simple and precise. Break down step by step processes so advancements can be tracked easily. It is also very important the GM oversee the process and make sure recommendations that are good, be implemented. All managers are so busy in the day to day processes, the GM is in the best position at this role. If he/she does not agree, or think it is worth it, I will gaurentee nothing will happen.
Mike White
Michael White

Postby sallen1 » Fri Jul 30, 1999 7:58 am

Stumbling blocks:

Keeping focus
Keeping to deadlines
Finding time to meet
Getting dealer to implement
Getting everyone else to support teams

We've been doing process teams since Cadillac started Standards for Excellence in 1992. Most of the work has been with process improvement teams or CIT (continuous IT) but alot has to do with measurement. How do you know what to change without measurement?

And Michael is absolutly correct in getting the store's general manager involved. That person can help all other employees overcome the stumbling blocks from above.

Also, make sure that there is alot of management support, not micro-managmement of the process.

scott
sallen1

Postby SDAWSON » Fri Jul 30, 1999 8:28 am

Thank you for your response gentleman

Scott, how did you get over the stumbling block of buy in by the other employees?
I would like to be proactive and build some enthusiam in the employees about these
"pit members". I am also trying to have a company wide effect on several dealership in our family of dealerships. I hope I am not trying to improve on to broad of a spectrum
SDAWSON

Postby sallen1 » Mon Aug 02, 1999 9:15 am

'Buy in' as an issue, always has been!

I think the easiest way to promote buy-in of any change is to use both financial and 'fringe' benefits as an incentive for positive behavior. Obviously, the financial part is relatively straight forward, but the other part, the 'fringe' aspect, is a little tougher to nail down. What makes it harder to define is that what works for me will not always work for someone else. Keep this in mind with respect to your 'company wide' idea: The fringes will be different for different stores.

An example of a 'fringe' I came up with was that I promised not to micromanage anyone, unless they needed it. I don't think anybody likes micromanagers so they try hard to avoid the behavior themselves. Also, I demand constant feedback, both good and bad, on how well I live to my commitments. Do you live up to yours?

What has worked for us is my ability to let the managers decide what to do. All I have to do is keep them focused on the goal. They, in turn, must honor my confidence by granting their confidence in their 'subjects', i.e. employ people that you are confident in.

When my people dicovered that they have alot to say in their job design, they became better, more company focused employees. And this passes all the way to the ground level.

In other forums I have discussed in detail my strategy towards 'pay for performance'. This is another 'fringe' benefit I agreed to and promote constantly.

My idea for payplans started with the basic assumption that every manager, whether new car, f&i, shop foreman, body shop, etc., had the same duty towards the businesses success and from that we all decided to pay managers' commission from the same net profit number number. This makes alot of sence and almost always garrantees profit to the store, however, it is not the norm for auto dealerships. While different, it works for us, could this work for your? I'm not sure.

Keep in mide the goal: Constant and continuous profits. Your business must make money now and for the foresee-able futher. Obviously, the long term benefit of profitability is continued employment. (Most people have shot term outlooks: probably not immediately concered that the store may close or they may be laid off) You must create an environment where your 'pit members' are making a difference and always focused on the goal. Be different and constantly encourage the process and get your people to make decisions: Everyone will alway recognize change for the good... That will promote the 'buy in' your looking for.

good luck

scott
sallen1

Postby MARY SHERICK » Mon Aug 02, 1999 11:32 pm

HAVE A SPECIFIC GOAL, PROVIDE A MEETING PLACE AND TIME THAT WILL NOT BE FULL OF DISTRACTIONS, FEED THEM, LET THEM KNOW THAT YOU ARE COUNTING ON THEM, AND WATCH THEM SURPRISE YOU. HOWEVER, YOU HAD BETTER BE WILLING TO GIVE A SERIOUS EAR, AND SERIOUS EFFORT TO AT LEAST TRYING THEIR PROCESS IMPROVEMENTS, OR ALL CREDIBILITY AND ENTHUSIASM WILL BE LOST.

[This message has been edited by MARY SHERICK (edited 08-12-99).]

[This message has been edited by MARY SHERICK (edited 08-12-99).]

MARY SHERICK

Return to Dealers & General Managers