Employees and the truth

Employees and the truth

Postby TheOne » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:39 am

There has been a lot of discussion about how Dealer Principles have handled or not handled telling employees if their stores are closing. Some have been forthright about it, some have been silent about it, and some have held out false hope.

I have been watching all of this happen from both a distant perspective through this forum and others, as well as up close and personal in face to face meetings with the employees as it happens. I think the various methods of dealing with it is very telling about individuals, their character, and their specific outlook on life.

Of those that are being terminated that best display the human attributes that I admire most are the ones that feel a sense of obligation to the families of employees. These dealers understand that employment is an equal partnership between people. If they hold out hope it is because that is what they truly believe. Optimism even if it is misplaced is a virtue in my book. Dealers that have the courage to face their employees deliver devastating news and hold out a vision for the future also understand that although there are always exceptions good employees work for a sense of purpose,and the success of the community as defined within the boundaries of the dealership, and will work harder if there is hope. Yes some of the good ones will accept opportunities usually with a heavy heart and an apology, but some will pass up opportunities that they should take just so they don't leave you standing there at the end by yourself. These are the people I admire. The Dealer that knows in his or her heart what should be done but can't muster the courage to do it, I for one do not fault. I fully understand what fear is.

On the other hand the dealer that remains silent,or holds out false hope merely as a mechanism strictly for self advantage while working diligently towards personal self protection or loss mitigation shame on you. To find yourself in a disasterous situation only to worsen the situation of others to improve your own is the embodiment of all of the negative stereotypes that our industry has spawned over the years. The rest of us should not waste our anger on these people, we should pity them. It is going to be difficult to move forward in life with so little courage or moral fiber.

To those of you Dealer Principles losing your stores and handling our current situation in a manner that God and your Mother would be proud of my hat is off to you, and I am humbled by your strength. I am sure you will make mistakes, but how could you not. The world will always make a place for people like you.
TheOne

Employees and the truth

Postby arnien » Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:38 am

Well put!
arnien

Employees and the truth

Postby Bucko21 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:48 pm

WOW!! To coin a phrase by Jeff Spicolli from Fast Times At Ridgemont High. Rightous man, those words that you speak are rightous!!
Bucko21

Employees and the truth

Postby OLDPARTSGUY » Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:31 pm

Well Spoken!!!
OLDPARTSGUY

Employees and the truth

Postby RIM RUNIONED » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:09 am

Some dealerships who did not get a letter to close, got told to build a new building or you will get no new cars..(and are not getting cars now!) If your told by GM to do this, what would you do?..Do you trust that GM will be ok and do you gamble and build a new store?..What GM is doing to dealerships is outrageous...Only hope for them, (dealerships) is a bill HR2743 IH...still to be voted on.SAME OLD GM !
RIM RUNIONED

Employees and the truth

Postby TheOne » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:59 am

They also have state franchise laws that are once again available for use now that the bankruptcy is complete.
TheOne

Return to Dealers & General Managers