Warranty Clerk Training

Warranty Clerk Training

Postby Fred » Fri Aug 06, 1999 3:45 pm

This topic may be more suited for warranty administration, but I know we're merging forums, so here is what I could use some help with. I'm going to be traing a new employee with no previous dealer experience in repair order booking and warranty admin. My concern is how I might best train their warranty booking skills (Ford only). I benefitted from learning under someone who really knew the slts books well, and I spent six months paging through them, familiarizing myself to a point where I am assume most others are, not needing to look things up. We're on ADP, and I know how to page through the system like anyone else, but if my person has no clue as to anything, and (this being the crux of the issue) the Ford Slts are no longer being updated with paper, what do I do to best prepare this person? Paging through the books more than prepared me for where I'm at now, but with books that are less than complete, what do I train with? Warranty Wizard and the other tools out there are an option, but I don't have a P.C. right there in the booking/warranty room. I know some of you have alot of experience with this, and I appreciate your shared wisdom. Thanks, Fred

------------------
Fred

Warranty Clerk Training

Postby robc » Sun Aug 08, 1999 1:13 pm

In your post you mentioned Ford SLTS, which would preclude Warranty Wizard because to the best of my knowledge they only service Chrysler and GM (anyone know anything different???)

In training any new person we start with three basic areas:
(1) the computer systems involved (ADP in your case and ACESII/DWE)
(2) a mechanical understanding of a vehicle
(3) the warranty policies and process

I am almost inclined to have totally green recruits learn in that order. Start by getting them in Ford's and ADP's school for a basic understanding of the computer systems involved. At a very basic level these are pretty much data entry points, and shouldn't be too hard to learn. Plus if a new recruit struggles through this area, they'll really struggle through the rest of it -- so you might need to reconsider your selection.

Have the recruit spend about 3-4 days around the techs, dispatcher and advisors to learn the different components of a vehicle. You aren't looking to make them an ASE master technician here, just for them to understand what a controller is, what a sensor is, how to dissect the nomenclature of automotive parts and the major systems. This area isn't quite as important as the other two because if the person has someone you can trust to help them (i.e. NOT a mechanic) then a lot of these items can be worked through.

Next begin training first on policy. The very basics of it like what is warranty and their limits, coverages, control of the technicians, and what Ford expects of a dealerships claims.

Finally you can begin instructing on the Service Labor Time Standards. This usually means the person has been on the job for 3 - 4 weeks. Of course, you can mix these three classes to fit your particular schedule. For example, have them reading and studying the policy manual in the morning, working with the advisors in the afternoon, and then helping with the cashier at the close of the day. You can introduce simple tasks like recalls, ONPs, etc. early on and let the person build up their confidence. Progressively let them look up more difficult operations.

When looking items up in the SLTS, try to teach like you were in foreign language class (because that it what it is to a green recruit). For example, you and I say oil change, but Ford says MA3 it's just a matter of translating what we did into something Ford's computer will understand. When there is no direct translation we have to improvise (M-time, or the like).

There is no substitute for time and as you said after working in the system you got more proficient. The same is true for everybody. Time combined with logical training steps and the support of management will equal one excellent administrator.

------------------
** Rob, Editor WD&S **
Help is only a message post away!
robc@dealersedge.com
robc

Return to Dealers & General Managers