20 Groups

20 Groups

Postby davidmc » Wed Mar 13, 2002 11:08 pm

Would like to hear everyones opinion about 20 groups. Are they a benefit, or are they a escape for dealers to go and get away from the dealership and blowsmoke and BS to other dealers. Do you think with all the info on the web,and with forums like this are 20 groups going to be a thing of the past.
davidmc

20 Groups

Postby Tom O'Connor » Wed Mar 13, 2002 11:59 pm

20 groups will continue to be in vogue for new dealers entering our industry that need this type of forum to hear new ideas and best practices from their peers. many dealers though have grown tired of the format due to the expense involved, overpowering egos in the group and moderators that did not adequately control the flow of ideas and the allotted time. as a sales trainer, i love them because 20 groups have allowed me the chance to share great ideas with successful dealers - the progressive ones always call later on and ask for your help in implementing them at the dealership level...

------------------
tommyo7
Tom O'Connor

20 Groups

Postby MILESO » Thu Mar 14, 2002 12:29 pm

I have been involved in 20 group as a Fixed Operations Director in the past. My General Manager is currently at a 20 group meeting. I really feel they very profitable to a dealership. My General Manager is very good at bringing ideas and input back to the dealership Managers so we can use them. It is really great to talk to people in the same business that has had or currently has the same problems we have. I have been involved in 20 group meetings were it was a bunch of guys tooting there own horn and that was not very profitable. With the correct group it is great.

MILESO

20 Groups

Postby Kevin Kavanagh » Thu Mar 14, 2002 10:19 pm

I have spoken to dealer 20 groups by NCM, NADA, MPG and Performance Inc. The format can differ by group and company. As a supplier of services I agree with Tom its a great way to get a message across. The bottom line is that the dealers control the group. If they want more of a social event they can. I moderated a group of Multi-Franchise dealers and we met for 2 days, all business and skipped the resorts. The information that was exchanged was good for all parties and everyone gained. It doesnt matter what size stores so long as the content is good. High content business meetings for the dealer and their mangers are out there.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Kevin Kavanagh (edited 03-14-2002).]

Kevin Kavanagh

20 Groups

Postby davidmc » Fri Mar 15, 2002 12:52 pm

That brings up the next question. Do you think that 20 groups are responsible for the tremendous amount of changes made in dealerships? It seems that one of the most complaints you hear from management is that every time the dealer goes to a 20-group meeting, when they return you can count on something to change. After a 20 group meeting they return and say Hey lets wear white shirts because they look clean and customers feel more at ease, thats what a dealer in the 20 group did and they increased income in all departments. A year later they return from a 20-group meeting and they say Hey lets wear blue shirts because they present a easy low key approach and customers are more likely to spend money when we wear them. And since a lot of dealers have big egos (I didnt say that by the way) that while they are sitting there at the meeting with their dealership on the right hand side page of the composite that you can well expect that when they get back everyone will be wearing blue shirts so at the next 20 group meeting they will be on the left hand page of the composite. I think gathering of successful ideas from other dealers can be very beneficial, but I also think they should not try to duplicate exactly what that particular dealer is doing. Perhaps that falls on the moderator to make sure that dealers dont duplicate. They make sure that dealers look at the question What can I do as far as my employees attire to make my customers feel more at ease and enjoy their visit to the dealership instead of returning to the dealership and saying Hey lets wear blue shirts.

[This message has been edited by davidmc (edited 03-15-2002).]

davidmc

20 Groups

Postby joehughes » Sat Mar 16, 2002 1:16 pm

It sounds to me like you work for a dealer that, while he has an ego, is insecure and maybe a bit frustrated that he has not yet set upon the key to building business. Therefore, he looks to others that are "successful" and goes to that as THE ANSWER.

The fact of the matter is, there is no one thing that anyone can do to increase his business 20%...but there ARE 20 things that one can implement that will increase their business 1% each. And they don't require a monstrous change within an organization. They amount to small compass corrections that can take place one at a time and almost so subtly as to not be concious, but they make the difference we all seek in the long run.

I suggest YOU need to talk to YOUR GM or DEALER PRINCIPAL about how he perceives his 20 Group, and suggest a different way of looking at them.

I think they, like everything, can be monumentally successful, or colossal failures depending on how one uses his.
joehughes

20 Groups

Postby sallen1 » Tue Mar 19, 2002 8:45 am

I think the 20-Group concept is valuable and will continue. Obviously there's an expense issue, but that can be controlled by the destinations selected: Some are cheap, some aren't. This is what I get from our 20-Group.

First, I'm a 'successor' to my father who's been in the group for 35 years. There are several tran-generational dealers and several of the 19 in the group are founding members. Can you imagine the knowledge base?

Second, it is difficult to get competitive information from the same make-line dealers in my area (there are 20) and I really don't socialize with them either. But I always know I can pick up the phone and call a dealer in my group and get an answer: what do you pay for forms?, does 'lease profet work?, how much did your computer cost?, how did you get such a great flooring program?, etc.

Listening to what motivates and frustrates other dealers in an open environment keeps me grounded.

Our group is changing, too. What used to be a dealer-wife only program has more children tagging along. Why not? It's impossible to take vacations within the 'new economy' and there are so many trips that take us away from home.

Ego problems? Who controls your membership?

scott
sallen1

20 Groups

Postby Kevin Kavanagh » Wed Mar 20, 2002 3:56 pm

Having spoken at many 20 groups I'm one of the guys that get dealers spun up on ideas. And yes they do come back with a list of things and yes most department managers dread the "List" the dealer comes back with. The key to ANY type of change, shirts or otherwise, does need to be carefully looked at the dealership level. While we all sell cars, parts and service each store has its own personality and personnel issues to deal with. The idea session at 20 group meetings is one of the best parts of the meetings. Dealers need to pick one or two ideas they should try to implement in their own store. The best way, I believe, is to bring the List back and meet with the management staff to discuss and choose those ideas that will drive the best & quickest return for their effort. Get your staffs involved in taking the idea and modifying it to make it their own. There is no reason why you cant re-visit the list after those ideas have been implemented and then choose a couple more from the list.

P.S. I'd have to disagree with Joe on one thing to increase business 20%, that's for another conversation.

------------------
Kevin Kavanagh

Return to Dealers & General Managers