Controlling gasoline expense

Postby mbowers » Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:20 pm

The cost of gasoline used to be a minor expense for car dealers, but now we're talking about real money.

How are dealers keeping a lid on this expense.

How do you restrict employees from using gas vouchers to fill their personal cars?
mbowers

Postby arnien » Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:50 pm

One way is to use fuelman cards or something like that. This is a credit card, must have the miles and vehicle number on the sales slip, that info is typed in on the machine. Fleets use this to control purchases. I have seen car dealers do it.
arnien

Postby arnien » Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:50 pm

One way is to use fuelman cards or something like that. This is a credit card, must have the miles and vehicle number on the sales slip, that info is typed in on the machine. Fleets use this to control purchases. I have seen car dealers do it.
arnien

Postby texaslp » Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:54 pm

The credit cards are kept at the cashier, and the ee's must have a gas voucher signed by a mgr with the stock #. Used cars on the lot we only put 3gals at a time. Any fill more than that must be a sold unit and it's charged to the deal, we record on the inventory so we would notice a duplication. We also post each gas ticket with the stock # as the control, so I can run the account by control and catch any duplications.
texaslp

Return to Dealers & General Managers