Pay for the Warranty Person

Postby Think Now 2009 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:50 pm

Warranty Administrator/Clerk Pay
With the advent of lower warranty repairs and the warranty cost going down, how has everyone dealt with their warranty person? Have you just left them alone and/or have you done any of the things listed below or others?

1: Cut Pay
2: Cut Hours
3: Combined Jobs
4: Added additional responsibilities
5: ----
6: ----

Etc.

With tighter cost controls inside of our Dealerships we are looking at every way to cut cost. Is this one place you can cut??? I would love everyones FEEDBACK, Please.

Bob

------------------
Think Right Now

------------------
Think Right Now

Think Now 2009

Postby sermgreby » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:48 am

Our warranty admistrator also files repair orders, helps answer phones, sets service appointments, calls cust. that are overdue for service in any spare time and other odd jobs that need to be performed for service.
sermgreby

Postby Tyler Robbins » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:57 am

I've been to a number of single-point dealers that have turned this role into a part-time role, ideal for stay-at-home moms, etc. or they have outsourced it altogether.

I personally, like the idea of a part-time role that can be performed from an employees' home.

It makes a lot of sense for many dealers. Warranty has been a steady decline, so if a dealer is doing half as much warranty business than they were 10 years ago, then, logically, the work load that was once an 8 hrs/day job, is now 4 hrs/day, right?

Multiple Point dealers, have been merging two, three or four warranty clerk roles into one or two, dependant upon their number of points, obviously.

The position of the warranty clerk role (as well as every other role) should always be under "review", regardless of the economic times, but purely based on the work load shifts as a result of normal business.

Another example of this is "A" Technicians. If 20 years ago, 50% of your shop's business was "A" work, then it made sense for half of your technicians to be "A" technicians (at an A rate of course), but if your current work mix dictates that 20% of your work is "A" work, then logically, shouldnt only 20% of your technicians be "A" Techs?
Tyler Robbins

Postby Think Now 2009 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:21 pm

Tyler Robbins;

Thanks for the Feedback!

------------------
Did I Make You Think?

Think Now 2009

Return to Dealers & General Managers