New Owner Clinics

New Owner Clinics

Postby Lhansen » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:30 pm

Anyone out there doing New Owner Clinics on a regular basis?

------------------
Linda Graham Hansen
Auto Dealer Focus
www.autodealerfocus.com

Lhansen

New Owner Clinics

Postby btk » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:21 pm

Yes, every 2 months
btk

New Owner Clinics

Postby Lhansen » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:34 pm

How are they working out for you? I'm working with some dealers who MUST conduct them. (I'm a true believer who did them monthly in another life, but can't do it for them, only with them when I'm in town.) I'd love to share some recent success stories with the GM. Thanks for any input!

Linda

------------------
Linda Graham Hansen
Auto Dealer Focus
www.autodealerfocus.com

Lhansen

New Owner Clinics

Postby btk » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:31 pm

Linda,
I dont know if I can share any success stories with you, I have been performing new owner clinics for at least 20 years, back in the good old days at a previous dealer we wood do them monthly with about 150 people a month attending. This store due to sales I do them every other month and have abut 40-50 people attend. I look at them now as just a cost of doing business.I do believe after many years of tracking the attendance sheet that close to 90 % of the customers that show up for the clinics will be your service customers and it is a great way to introduce yourself to them. If a dealer is contemplating stopping them, I believe it is a mistake or if the attendance is low it is a direct result of lack of effort by the dealership staff, everyone needs to talk about it, post signs, do whatever, we even invite customers who may have bought from another dealer. I never have received bad feedback from doing them.
I also look at new owners clinics like a gas tank, service is always loosing customer as vehicles age, so I need to fill the service tank with new customers to keep the needle full
btk

New Owner Clinics

Postby BALLBREAKER » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:20 pm

BTK, I agree with you totaly, clinics are a great way to gain and retain customers..
and its truly a staff problem that prevents the clinics from happening..
Would like to see clinic's happen here, any help would be great.
If you have any more info or would be will to speak to my dealer, I would love to get these going, they do work...

thanks
Steve Grundy/Parts Manager
Country Chevrolet
steve@countrychev.com
BALLBREAKER

New Owner Clinics

Postby btk » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:39 am

Steve,
Here is my advise, it is really hard to measure results from doing new owner clinics, so it is hard to show the dollars and cents on why do them. I think if you really want to get it going , you should probably spearhead the whole process. If you decide to do them, here are a few tips to keep in mind.
1-Try to keep attendance between 25-50 people especially if you are the only one doing them, if you have full support-advisor,service manager, a couple sales people you can go much larger but you have to factor in , rental tables and chairs, cost of food,etc....to keep cost down try to accomodate what you can handle based on the size of the facility.
2-Send out invitations about 21-30 days before event, post signs in waiting lounge and service drive, and have a contact in dealership for people to call in to reserve a spot.
3- Food and drinks are easy, we go to Safeway and get those parts trays of cookies,sandwiches, we spend maybe 150-250 in food.
4-Have some giveaways, give everyone who attends a free lof new owner clinic coupon(a decent way to track if they are turned into you )
5- Dont turn the clinic into a info commercial for the dealership, it turns people off quick, for example, I had the Finance Manager speak at one, and he started trying to sell service contracts to people that did not purchase. Big mistake. talk about the dealership and hours of operation and walk them through parts and service. but more then anything talk about the product, I talk about maintenance schedule on the cars, talk about the dash lights,tpms, keep the people interested with things they dont know about their vehicle.
6-Keep the clinic to 1hr to 1hr 15 minutes, dont overthink it, you will still be there a couple hours because of all the customers questions
7-Have a technician there to answer and technical questions.
8- Get feedback from the customers who attend.
If you decide to go forward,feel free to let me know and I can forward you some more info
btk

New Owner Clinics

Postby Lhansen » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:02 am

Thanks for the input!
I always encourage dealers to hold clinics or seminars...even if the manufacturer doesn't require it. Your comments about the need to involve the whole store is 100% correct. If the top managers are not enthusiastic and excited about it, that trickles down to everyone! I always ask for the technicians to get involved and is most stores they really enjoy it.
One more suggestion to promote the event...post it on your website. Often, potential buyers will stop by just to get an idea of how the dealership operates.
Hope to see more dealers holding these soon.

Linda

------------------
Linda Graham Hansen
Auto Dealer Focus
www.autodealerfocus.com

Lhansen

New Owner Clinics

Postby GMFXDOPSMGR » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:16 pm

We try to have them about every 2-3 months depending on sales. Great relationship builder. Customers get to know the people that will be taking care of their cars. BTK was right on with his operation. We do the same processes.

------------------
Tom Edwards

GMFXDOPSMGR

New Owner Clinics

Postby Lhansen » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:46 am

Just hosted an owner clinic last night and those who attended were very appreciative of the dealer going the extra mile. The technicians really enjoyed interacting with the customers. The dealership plans to do them quarterly, and now that they have the first one under their belts, momentum will build. Can't wait to get started on the photo collage for their showroom and website so other customers can see what occurs.

------------------
Linda Graham Hansen
Auto Dealer Focus
www.autodealerfocus.com

Lhansen

Re: New Owner Clinics

Postby AREV » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:58 pm

Owners clinics, Hi i have done over 150, over the last 10 years. Here is my top TEN.

#1- First and most important- Who will lead this effort, this individual,must be a big picture long range person.
#2-Owners clinics are about 3 primary things-
a.T=Thank the customer for their current and future business.
b.I=Inform the customer about their vehicle,your store, and the future.
c.R-Retain the customer,this is the first step.

#3.INVITE, Invite everybody you sell,or anyone showing interest.
a.Use a script,call 1 week before event,call ones who agree,1 day prior to confirm,a
50% turnout is easily done, I'VE DONE IT!

4.Frequency,at least 5 time a year,11 times a year is better
a.December is tough, take the month off,if you go less than 5 times, no habit is developed.
b.Frequncy may be dicatated in part to your facility,how many can you seat?
c.Don't hold a clinic in the service drive in August,Service drives aren't built for acoustics.

5.Topics,pick 4 or 5 things to talk about-have a handout illustrating the topics you covered.
a.you should finish the entire clinic in 75 minutes, 90 minutes tops.
b.rotate your speakers,10 minutes each.

6.Door Prizes,parts will be happy to supply these,things with your name or brand are great,a prize to open the clinic, after each speaker and at the close.
a.Applaud when a customer wins, THIS IS A PARTY!

7.Invite the factory folks, they will be glad,it adds another dimension to the customer, and makes you look good.
8.FOOD- you don't have to spend a fortune!
a. Customers expect a hot meal at dinnertime,Canned drinks are fine, i have used LITTLE DEBBIE Snackcakes for years with no leftovers.
b.If you do have leftovers encourage the customers to take it home, whats wrong with YOUR customer eating day old chicken fried steak
you bought for them.

9. Thats it, I have managed clinics over a decade,and i still like it-and by the way the INVITES, I do them all by myself, if you want to chat
my PHONE # is 1-501-945-4444 ext.3190 B.Grissom
10. DON'T FORGET TO HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
AREV

Next

Return to Dealers & General Managers