ADP & GM Access shut down

Postby drapp » Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:17 pm

GM Dealers

For those of you that use ADP Elite software: Have you received the telephone call from "ADP inside sales" telling you what the new DCS 2.5 software package is going to cost?

If you haven't heard this thing is a HUGE expense. The proposed contract sent to me included more than 3 & 1/3 times increase in cost. YES YOU READ THAT RIGHT - TAKE OUR CURRENT DCS/GMACESS INTEGRATION COST AND MULTIPLY IT BY 3.34 AND YOU GET A NUMBER CLOSE TO THE PROPOSAL!!

The proposal is software only.

The above number doesn't include installation which is nearly $2000 for remote install.

The proposal includes NO new functionality, we just get to keep using the stuff we arleady paid for.

OH, did I mention this DOES NOT include the shut down of RAPID in June 2008. Yes, apparently they can come back early next year and ask for more money.

To top it off, no one can explain exactly what changes are being made to the FACTS system. This software somehow affects FACTS, at least the documents say so.

I am not sure who is more responsible for this - GM or ADP.
drapp

Postby Gerry Laughlin » Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:40 am

drapp,
I am involved in the install at our store. At this point the only difference I can find is that I have to sign up to keep an integrated input of warranty. As far as the cost apparently we are already getting over billed an amount for DCS that is pretty much equal to what they are going to charge. When we signed for "getwired", we were told that that was so there was a platform for future communications with GM, which is the exact same thing they say about this. I have tried to ask more questions about this, but it appears as though ADP knows even less about this than they do about how RIM and ADP works together. If I had my way we would leave ADP altogether, but the GM does not want to face that upheaval, so I am trying to remain calm about this.
Gerry

[This message has been edited by Gerry Laughlin (edited 10-07-2007).]

Gerry Laughlin

Postby texaslp » Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:21 am

My understanding is that without the interface you would lose download of warranty, financial statements and vehicle delivery and vehicle ordering.

One thing to know, the person who calls you from ADP is not authorized to write contracts for anything but list price. Your sales rep and his mgr can negotiate. I'm working on that now and should be able to get my monthly cost to be the same as what I'm paying now to support the old way through the server.
texaslp

Postby Matt Parsons » Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:34 pm

Folks, following are some additional 'facts' regarding the shut-down of the GM ACCESS Servers slated for December of this year. I was able to gather this information through our manufacturer relations team that works hand-in-hand with GM on projects such as this.

In an effort to clarify what is happening with the GM ACCESS server program, here are some of the facts.

GM will gift the ACCESS server and switch to the dealer, but the systems will be wiped clean by 12/31/07. All DCS transactions currently being sent via FTP to the ACCESS server must move to a new communication pathway and protocol by 12/14/07.

ADP is taking on significant work and responsibility in the new DCS environment as a result of the ACCESS servers being de-commissioned. The transactions are using a different communication protocol and pathway to GM. The new pathway is to move integration data from the DMS to the ADP I-Server environment where it is translated to ebXML and moved to the GM back end systems. ebXML provides more security and guaranteed file delivery. Return files will follow the reverse pathway.

The new pathway does require ADP getWired for the w.e.b.Suite 200X platform and it is the infrastructure to be used for ALL GM integration points coming as part of the WorkBenches as well as RIM and AutoVIS. (Note w.e.b.Suite1000 and the DMS@NET platforms (may) use a different network connection dependent upon in-store server versus ASP). All future GM batch transactions will be via ebXML and near real-time integration will use Web Services.

ADP did have to re-write portions of our DMS software, build out the I-Server environment, and write software for the I-Server while staffing up for a deployment of all ADP GM dealers in fewer than 8 weeks. In total this is a monumental project that has spanned well over a year.

In a nutshell, ADP and the other DSP's are taking responsibility for a series of activities that use to be handled by GM. ADP has worked closely with GM regarding our technical solution for our various platforms and has reviewed all fees with GM.

Our approach to rolling out a project of this size is to have our Inside/Tele-sales team contact all GM dealers to discuss their options with specifics regarding their current technological environment and capability to integrate with this new GM direction.

I hope this helps. Please feel free to post additional questions and I will review and respond. In addition I would expect that your GM representative and ADP Field Sales representative could also advise you as to these changes and the business impact it may have if you and your system are not ready for the December 14th date.
Matt Parsons

Postby texaslp » Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:38 pm

I guess it's too much to hope that we see some reduction in our monthly charges from GM.

Thought we could use a good laugh.
texaslp

Postby spwilkins » Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:21 pm

Matt,
On most days, I am not too much of a fan of our DMS. Nothing personal, its just I dont like paying them what I am paying them. But, to be fair, as more and more things go to the "free" internet like we dealers keep asking, isnt the real answer that those things arent free? And, to an extent, we dealers should be careful what we ask for, because we might get it?!

I have $30,000 dollars worth of "green screens" and keyboards upstairs for anyone who wants to go back to the old ways of doing things.

Also, relating to ADP Alliance or Websuite 1000, would it be safe to say there will be charges for the new DCS, if we are not ASP? What if we are ASP?

spwilkins

Postby Gerry Laughlin » Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:56 pm

Matt,
Thank you for your response, it is much more insightful than what I have been receiving so far. I started to say more here but it sounded sarcastic, which is something you do not need, so I guess I will leave it at that I do appreciate your work on this forum.
Gerry Laughlin
Gerry Laughlin

Postby Matt Parsons » Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:09 pm

Folks, as always I like that people can post their questions and concerns and we can create a dialogue (good or bad) in a public forum like this.

With regards to Alliance/Web1000 and DMS@NET ADP platforms, there are charges no matter if you are on ASP or an in-store server. The difference is that if the store does not have the correct/secured connectivity they have to purchase that as well as the fees for ADP taking on the 'GM ACCESS software functionality'.

With regards to GM lowering their bill to the dealers. I believe their position is that they will not be lowering their charges, but instead, using the fees that are 'saved' to invest in future workbench activity to increase the connectivity between the dealers and GM. With that said however, it would be best if someone from GM formally stated their position.
Matt Parsons

Postby drapp » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:47 am

Mr. Parsons, thank you for your response. I was hoping you would participate in this thread.

I realize GM is gifting the server to the dealers, however, I wonder what type of gift it really is. By gifting the server GM doesn't have to pay anyone to visit each dealership and physically remove the hardware. Also by leaving it alone the dealer becomes responsible for proper disposal of an old server. Is it usable, maybe, is it pratical to do so, if you have someone on staff with the knowledge...
This is one case where potentially the giver is also the receiver.

I realize ADP is investing in the I-server group and that group would need to expand in order to accomodate the additional traffic added by these applications. However, when we first purchased "get-wired" we paid addditional fees for this infrastructure. We paid additional - pass thru - fees to ADP when RIM started. Now we need to more than triple our current fees for this. Keeping in mind this time doesn't end it and we have to revisit this in less than nine months.

Why doesn't someone within the DMS community tell GM wait a second, what is the COMPLETE plan? Where are you going with this? Where do you plan to be in 1,3 or 5 years? With this information the DMS companies could provide a longer term solution at a reasonable and stable pricing structure. What we have today is out of control costs. It seems the only one saving money here is GM. Then GM get consulted on what the DMS can charge the dealers. Gotta love this system.

As far as your inside sales team handling this transition goes, they desperately need additional information and training on what they are selling. When they tell me they don't know and they will email all the documents they have, it doesn't give the purchaser (us) that nice warm feeling. That said I spoke to our assigned sales representative last Friday, he is to get information and call me back. This is only Tuesday so it will take a few more days to hear from him.

I realize this post sound incredibly negative and I suppose it is. However, I generally like the ADP system and support. The sales side of ADP needs something, I don't know what, but something to make the dealer feel wanted - not abused.
drapp

Postby texaslp » Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:38 am

drapp I agree about the sales process on this, I don't like making a decision from an explanation over the phone and an emailed contract. I just told the person who called me that I needed my sales rep face-to-face. Of course that put me further behind so I'm sure I'm in danger of not making the deadline.

Matt, I wonder if ADP or any other DMS provider has tried to push back at GM and ask for an extension.

texaslp

Next

Return to Dealers & General Managers