AS-IS Isn't

AS-IS Isn't

Postby westover6 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:18 pm

We have been down this road also. I believe as a New car franchise it is our responsibility to sell quality used cars. We still sell as is buthese are usually "get me done" customers. We perform a "Start and Stop" we make sure the vehicle will start, has safe brakes and tires. If you don't at least perform this minor inspection you are opening your self to a large liability.
westover6

AS-IS Isn't

Postby pjpeery » Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:42 pm

We also sell as is cars .. i am not in sales but here is what we do in the service .. car is inspected and oil is changed and any safety related items are corrected .. the owner is told the car is sold as is .. but you all know they will call .. here is what we do in service when an owner calls with problems or comes in with problems they are greeted just like anyone else .. they are gently reminded that they purchased an as is car but we will check out their car and find out what the problem is and then we will advise their salesman or used car manager .. they can handle it from there .. or sometimes the advisor will offer a 25% discount and see if that goes .. but mainly the owner will be ok if you tell them you will look at it for no charge .. no promise to fix just look

paul
pjpeery

AS-IS Isn't

Postby Mr. Geets » Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:55 pm

We mark "NO FREE WORK TO BE DONE BY SELLER" -legally it means nothing but it triggers the questions about who pays for what when the purchaser signs next to this disclaimer.

The close on delivery is "I hope this thing runs for a hundred years but really want you back soon to obtain a better vehicle from us"
Mr. Geets

AS-IS Isn't

Postby topdog » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:22 pm

Our dealership sell many as is vehicles and have all but eliminated the who pays ordeal. In the finance department a coupon is presented to the coupon with the statement... You are purchasing this vehicle as is and it has pasted our safety inspection, however it is impossible for either of us to predict if you incur any repair expenses in the near future. Should something come up, we are allowing you a 25% off labor and parts discounts for repairs completed in our service department within the next 6 months. That ends the who pays arguement.
topdog

AS-IS Isn't

Postby cantfind12 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:13 am

Oddly, this in not an issue for us. Our customers seem to understand our culture as soon as they drive into the dealership under our Monsterous Marvel of Marketing Motto 20 thousand square inch LED Blue Wave Red dot multi-dimensional String Theory Planet friendly negative footprint progressive-retro diaganol backsplash portable sandwich board placard.

Phil "Slickyboy" Backpeddler
President
Caveat Emptor Motors
cantfind12

AS-IS Isn't

Postby Gerry Laughlin » Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:01 pm

Cantfind,
I was with you until the "multi-dimensional String Theory" part. In my understanding of String Theory nothing is multi-dimensional.
Thanks,
Gerry
Gerry Laughlin

AS-IS Isn't

Postby Gerry Laughlin » Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:15 pm

As my assistant manager just pointed out to me the string theory relies on the existance of 10 or 11 dimensions, so never mind and carry on.
Gerry
P.S.
Whatever you are smokin' pass it this way next.

[This message has been edited by Gerry Laughlin (edited 04-01-2008).]

Gerry Laughlin

AS-IS Isn't

Postby Gerry Laughlin » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:21 am

All in all, I think we have realized why people come to us. They expect more out of us that Dealin Dicks Dirt Lot. If you read RipOffReport.com and such, no one reports the corner lot because they bought a $3000 car and it puked a month later, no they only report the dealers. I guess it comes down to people have higher expectations when they buy from the dealer, even if it is a $3000 car, so we will pack out a little to try and take care of some of these situations, and head off as many as possible by trying to educate the customer about AS-IS at delivery.
Thanks,
Gerry
Gerry Laughlin

Previous

Return to Dealers & General Managers