Going to new store

Going to new store

Postby Toyotaguy » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:27 am

Ok, have a question. Moving to a new store as the parts manager. As GM's and DP's what would you look for in a "new" manager. Someone that sits back, watches then jumps in or someone who takes charge right away. I have a good track record in a small store, now moving a little larger store.

This store I am told has some issues with inventory and attitude so what would you like to see.

Want to make a good impression for the employees and upper management.
Toyotaguy

Going to new store

Postby Richard » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:08 am

They want it all. Seriously. Mostly, they want the fixed ops to be an invisable source of income. They don't want to have to handle problems from that area at all if possible. Do whatever it takes to provide the best customer service. Never let a problem leave your hands and go 'up front'. That 'best' customer service includes your service dept and any other internal depts as well.
Richard

Going to new store

Postby texaslp » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:45 am

I'm not a GM or DP, but my 2cents would be a little of both. Take charge right away but that doesn't mean making dramatic changes on day one or week one and insisting immediately that everything be done your way. You need to display a take charge attitude, but also sit back and watch how things are done. If it works just fine, but maybe different from what you're used to-think about the old "if it ain't broke don't try to fix it."

As far as attitude, listen to what you're told with a grain of salt and an open mind.
texaslp

Going to new store

Postby ToyotaFixedOpsGuy » Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:13 pm

My advise to you is to run at it full strength. Quickly determine where the major downfalls are but at the same time be open to the different ways people do things. Meet daily with your GM to discuss major cost incurring issues only. Make your departmental decisions yourself. Realize that your "honeymoon" will be over in about 60 days, so put all of your things that will cost alot together and approach at one time. You know you will only have a short time to buy what you need before your GM shuts you down!
ToyotaFixedOpsGuy

Going to new store

Postby Old Irish » Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:32 pm

"Mostly, they want the fixed ops to be an invisable source of income. They don't want to have to handle problems from that area at all if possible"

I wish !

Heh heh. Our DP and GM have resigned themselves to car sales being slow for the next few months and now, more than ever, are looking at fixed ops to shore things up.

That's fine, and expected. However, the continual meddling and fussing over even the most insignificant aspects of the "back end" is getting to be a real drag.....

Oh well....I still have a job so I'm happy :-).

Cheers
DD
Old Irish

Return to Dealers & General Managers