Shop Supplies / Materials

Shop Supplies / Materials

Postby drapp » Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:50 pm

I post this here because this forum seems to have the most traffic.

Does anyone have a customer facing description of shop supplies / materials / disposal fees / etc. they would be willing to share?

We are in the process of implementing a new procedure and are looking for a good description of shop supplies to present to the customer should they question the charge. Initially we are looking at a small charge, then increasing it over the coming months/years in an attempt to recover some of the thousands of dollars we spend annually on these supplies.
drapp

Re: Shop Supplies / Materials

Postby FixedManager » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:23 am

My description is none and many states have statutes prohibiting this practice. This is a customer killer and non-billable shop supplies are a business expense. I would take the opposite approach, monitor items each technician is using and praise or coach up after reviewing it monthly.
FixedManager

Postby LOKI1 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:33 pm

FixedManager wrote:My description is none and many states have statutes prohibiting this practice. This is a customer killer and non-billable shop supplies are a business expense. I would take the opposite approach, monitor items each technician is using and praise or coach up after reviewing it monthly.

I'm with you, this is a cost of doing business it's like the delivery charge some stores hit us with.
LOKI1

Postby greenthumb-38 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:15 pm

We use part numbers for certain supplies that are used for repairs... butt connectors, scratch pads, some chemicals, and paints. They are added as part numbers on the system and based on the source acct'g they relieve 61D when charged on an RO. It doesn't cover everything, but it does help.
greenthumb-38

Postby Fixed Ops Mgr » Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:33 am

greenthumb-38 wrote:We use part numbers for certain supplies that are used for repairs... butt connectors, scratch pads, some chemicals, and paints. They are added as part numbers on the system and based on the source acct'g they relieve 61D when charged on an RO. It doesn't cover everything, but it does help.

We also bill many shop supplies out with part numbers. Everything from nuts, bolts, butt connectors, etc has a part number.
It's a pain in the rear but it is the only way we have found to offset the costs of doing business without
making the customer ask a lot of questions and get angry over a shop supplies charge.
Fixed Ops Mgr

Return to Parts Managers