KEY CODES

Re: KEY CODES

Postby OilleakEarl » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:04 pm

We charge $75.00 to cut a key from a code plus the price of the key. We NEVER give out a key code.
OilleakEarl

Postby Whatsyourvin » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:47 pm

Key code audits must be more of a US thing...any fellow Canadians here get this?

I've been here over 5 years...never once...nor have I heard any of the other dealers in town get it? We all talk daily and shoot the shit so we'd probably hear about it if so.

Like who would they send...the useless district manager who is just a cheerleader for GM programs?
Whatsyourvin

Postby olepartsguy » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:55 pm

20 DOLLARS A LOOKUP ONLY IF THE CUSTOMER LOSES OR DOES NOT HAVE A KEY .

IF THE KEY IS WORN EVEN SLIGHTLY I WILL PULL THE CODE BUT NOT CHARGE THE CUSTOMER.

I SELL A LOT OF KEYS HERE. I CHARGED CUSTOMERS $20. 200 TIMES IN A YEAR EVERY YEAR.

IN 11 YEARS HERE WE HAVE HAD A DOZEN UNHAPPY CUSTOMERS. AND MAYBE COUPLE DOZEN KEYS MADE INCORRECTLY.

YES WE ALSO GIVE HANDWRITTEN INSTRUCTIONS HOW TO PROGRAM
olepartsguy

Postby Jaybee » Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:45 pm

Torgy wrote:$15 for code look up + $25 laser cut (if needed),+ the price of the key.
Also another $80 for service to program if needed.
I have been contemplating increasing the Laser cut key price since we are the only player in 60+ miles. ;)

We had a difficult time spending the $$ on the laser cutter. But then I came up with a solution for the dealer.
I bought it as a part and put it into my inventory as X amount of part # Lasercut @ X cost. Once that part # was sold down to 0 the machine was paid for and then some.
So now cost is $0 & sale @ $25, all profit for us for now.

Great idea! I would have never thought of that, and I like to think I'm smarter than the average bear. :D
Jaybee

Postby scott2112 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:55 pm

Jaybee wrote:
Torgy wrote:$15 for code look up + $25 laser cut (if needed),+ the price of the key.
Also another $80 for service to program if needed.
I have been contemplating increasing the Laser cut key price since we are the only player in 60+ miles. ;)

We had a difficult time spending the $$ on the laser cutter. But then I came up with a solution for the dealer.
I bought it as a part and put it into my inventory as X amount of part # Lasercut @ X cost. Once that part # was sold down to 0 the machine was paid for and then some.
So now cost is $0 & sale @ $25, all profit for us for now.

Great idea! I would have never thought of that, and I like to think I'm smarter than the average bear. :D

I am a bit lost. Why not get the key cutter as equipment and expense it out? I have had to get new pallet jacks and computers for my department and they have not made me inventory it. All that profit should have
gone to you anyways...if you are paid on gross. Just curious?
scott2112

Postby johnmc98 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:25 pm

Whatsyourvin wrote:Key code audits must be more of a US thing...any fellow Canadians here get this?

I've been here over 5 years...never once...nor have I heard any of the other dealers in town get it? We all talk daily and shoot the shit so we'd probably hear about it if so.

Like who would they send...the useless district manager who is just a cheerleader for GM programs?

Our key code audit was conducted by a GM field Warranty Manager, and was done after we had some issues that came to their attention. It was done after we lost our
key code access for 30 days, and we were told that repeats could extend the loss to 90 days to 1 year or more. We had to implement an action plan of how we were going
to keep our codes and so-forth secure and submit to him for approval.
johnmc98

Postby X476 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:11 pm

It was done after we lost our key code access for 30 days, and we were told that repeats could extend the loss to 90 days to 1 year or more.

Most days I would welcome losing the ability to cut keys
X476

Postby bentwrench54 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:02 pm

X476 wrote:Most days I would welcome losing the ability to cut keys

So would I. The store I am at now, we have what looks like a knock off of the old Winzer machine that my old store still uses. My machine here isn't worth the powder to blow it to Hell.

When I first got here, I burned up a couple of the 23372321 blanks before I figured out that the machine makes the cuts too deep.

I have access to the key machine at my old store, as I still have a good working relationship with them, but I only use that favor to cut keys for really good customers.

I want a new key machine, but I'm not allowed to have one since one of our other stores has one of the new laser machines.

If it's a laser key, I order it from GM.

As far as key codes, I try my best to read the customer when speaking with them. I don't charge for key codes, or cuts. I will however quote a $25 key code charge to keep the shady and sketchy people away.

I do charge $25 to assemble key cylinders.
bentwrench54

Previous

Return to Parts Managers