CollisionLink + Body Parts

CollisionLink + Body Parts

Postby PartsDanager » Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:09 pm

I'd like not run Collision Link as because of my market area, we are unable to be competitive in wholesale. (places marking 30-33 off list, in some cases 35) I'm just not interested in managing a volume business in an established wholesale market that has competition too forgiving in return policies. OEC let me know that will pull the ability to get parts master pricing on body parts.
First off, what a scam. I have to pay to get accurate parts master prices? Like I'm not already paying GM to half ass track what they send to me, update tires a month off, and stock shit I don't need.
Second off, now that I'm done ranting, is there any indicator of what is or is not a body part in GM files? I could go in and manually update any parts I know for sure are going to be collision parts based on group. I just don't know if there is a universal set of groups that are considered body parts.
They also tried to sell me on having two updates a day to my inventory for $87 a month. As opposed to one for not $87 extra a month. My phone isn't ringing off the hook of people trying to buy parts that I happened to sell in the morning. It's one off, and certainly not a service I'm willing to shell out money for. It's excessively easy to say, "we sold that" and move on with the day.

Those of you who got in to the industry before 08, what was it like to have the manufacturer care about you?
PartsDanager

Re: CollisionLink + Body Parts

Postby Denise Trimble » Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:27 pm

Before '08, I think they just had a better poker face. Now they are more ruthless and could care less. Dirty rat bastards!
Denise Trimble

Postby RLWOLF » Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:54 pm

Parts Danager,
If you're on CDK collision parts are in GM SOURCE 102, 103, and 104.
You can go into Set Up Sources and change your Price Escalators to make List = Cost + 67 (for example) and Trade Cost + 30 ( for example) for each Source
RLWOLF

Postby PartsDanager » Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:05 pm

I am on CDK, however, I am on a super fun setup of CDK.

As with many other manager's, I took over the remnants of a department that has cycled through a few managers before it got to me. On top of that, we run a Kia store on the same pad as the GM store. So we have some sources for Kia (34-40) and then we have some sources for GM (currently 100-104, 190, 191, as well as some others for gas oil grease tires etc.)

These sources are definitely not GM defined. Before I took it over, we have lumped all GM parts in 100 or 191. ACDELCO 191, GM genuine 100. I diversified the sources 100-104 based on sales over 12 months, to test stocking policy effectiveness for obsolescence.

When I took over, the inventory was nearly 200 grand short of the GL. And obsolescence was in about 30% of the inventory. I put these controls in to help curtail that and it has for the most part. The backend setups were a mess, we had Kia oil that would relieve GMs GL, same type of situations for stocking parts, tires, a true mess.

I have no idea in the slightest how to get back to default, and I don't necessarily want to at this point.

Is there any other identifier in the PM screen that shows if GM is updating the part throught the master?
PartsDanager

Postby AlanHomes » Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:10 pm

Denise Trimble wrote:Before '08, I think they just had a better poker face. Now they are more ruthless and could care less. Dirty rat bastards!

Agree. Call on the phone and talk to someone in an actual office, not in their kitchen with "The Secret Storm" playing on the television.
Had a customer with a brand new Oldsmobile in the body shop, an early 90's model Cutlass or Ninety Eight, does not matter. No body side moldings available. Had it on a SPAC case. But our Curtis rep was a 55-57 Chevrolet nut, needed a fuel tank sending unit for one of his '56 Bel Air. Had one in a few days from Michigan. Plenty in stock.
AlanHomes

Postby camaroman » Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:21 pm

I cringe when I get a call from OEConnection. Right away my thoughts are, here we go again more money out the door. Totally out of control with the costs of the products.
camaroman

Postby MSInventory » Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:01 pm

Those of you who got in to the industry before 08, what was it like to have the manufacturer care about you?

It WAS different before 2008.

I was in GM stores since '79. I moved from a GM store to Toyota in 2008 and haven't looked back. I was an active GM wholesaler in a major metro market for 24 years. Watched a GM dealer parts department, who at one time was #3 in the country in wholesale parts, implode. Completely out of wholesale, period. Priced themselves out of the market. Was sad to see. I think it was around '08 when some trader folks came around and showed us all how much it would cost to sell your own parts and it's gone downhill from there. Before you knew it, everybody jumped on that bandwagon to get a piece of that pie. GM stores used to earn return reserve at 8%. If you had a booming wholesale operation you banked a lot of return reserve and could bail someone out of some obsolescence issues. Was a win-win situation for both dealers. Hard to do that today. Certainly at that level. But...........things change.
"The worst thing a Parts Manager can do is to fall in love with his parts."
MSInventory

Postby AlanHomes » Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:29 pm

MSInventory wrote:

It WAS different before 2008.

I was in GM stores since '79. I moved from a GM store to Toyota in 2008 and haven't looked back. I was an active GM wholesaler in a major metro market for 24 years. Watched a GM dealer parts department, who at one time was #3 in the country in wholesale parts, implode. Completely out of wholesale, period. Priced themselves out of the market. Was sad to see. I think it was around '08 when some trader folks came around and showed us all how much it would cost to sell your own parts and it's gone downhill from there. Before you knew it, everybody jumped on that bandwagon to get a piece of that pie. GM stores used to earn return reserve at 8%. If you had a booming wholesale operation you banked a lot of return reserve and could bail someone out of some obsolescence issues. Was a win-win situation for both dealers. Hard to do that today. Certainly at that level. But...........things change.

Why am I thinking that was Lustine in Hyattsville Maryland, disappeared overnight.
AlanHomes

Return to Parts Managers