Misc. Warranty Co.'s Dictating Pricing

Re: Misc. Warranty Co.'s Dictating Pricing

Postby Zep33 » Tue May 16, 2017 12:10 pm

Yeah, me too - most recently in 2000 when Bruce came back

In 1984, I lived in Madrid and got to spend a whole day hanging out with them with backstage passes. They were at the height of their popularity and I was just a high school kid but they treated us like we were one of them. An amazing time and became a lifetime fan.
Zep33

Postby dandanthepartsman » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:19 am

These aftermarket warranties are killing me... Can we just tell them this is the price, take it or leave it. We always had the mantra "all aftermarket warranties pay list price". But we are getting more and more junkyard things shipped in from various places across usa. Just because Joes junkyard from the hills of North Dakota will sell an 8 speed trans for $800, doesn't mean I have to. I need to push for a policy that states "we will not install customer provided parts" minus the loyal customer that loves the royal purple in his engine and he always brings it with him.

I picked a wrong time to become a parts manager.... Still in my late 30's with years and years to go.... If only this was the 70/80s where all body shops bought all oem parts, insurance companies paid, and gmpartsdirect didn't exist.
dandanthepartsman

Postby bentwrench54 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:20 pm

dandanthepartsman wrote:I picked a wrong time to become a parts manager.... Still in my late 30's with years and years to go.... If only this was the 70/80s where all body shops bought all oem parts, insurance companies paid, and gmpartsdirect didn't exist.

I feel your pain. I'm a month away from 37. Taking over after a previous PM wasn't doing his job properly and patiently cleaning messes up and being on my third counter guy in a one year period has really kicked my ass.

All the difficulties on the business side with GM has made this the most stressful job I've ever had.

I just take things a day at a time.

I would love to charge a fee to customers who find their own parts, but it would never fly here. I'm just gonna shut my mouth and be glad that we aren't billing the engine that a customer found for their truck. I already got kicked in the balls on a reman transmission this month. Billing that engine would sink me for the month.
bentwrench54

Postby FixedManager » Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:52 pm

I use two strategies to knock this down:

1) Factual business case to the Dealer Principal on his profit/loss on the situation
2) State law regarding warranty parts reimbursement

Step two is the most powerful and gets me paid full value even when the parts are shipped to the dealership from outside vendors.
FixedManager

Postby X476 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:12 pm

if they want aftermarket we get same mark-up as we would with GM. If they ship in engine or trans we get $300.00 handling charge. If they disagree we instruct them to call customer and explain why we cannot fix the vehicle and why they want to take somewhere else.
X476

Postby marko65 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:56 pm

THIS IS WHAT I DIS. I REFUSE OR LOSE EVERY PARTS SHIPMENT THAT I DONT KNOW ABOUT. I SIGNED FOR THE PACKAGE? SO. I HAD ONE AND THEN CHARGED OUR SERVICE DEPT BACK WHEN THEY CHARGED ME FOR THE NEW PARTS I PUT ON A REPAIR ORDER WHEN THEY COULD NOT FIND THE ONES THAT WERE LOST. WE FIGHT THEM ALL EVERYDAY. IN MOST CASES THEY WANT A LITTLE DISCOUNT. WE START AT 10% OFF.
ENGINES AND TRANSMISSIONS ARE A DIFFERENT STORY. BECAUSE OF THE PASE PROGRAM IF I CANT MAKE ENOUGH MONEY ON THE USED ONE OR REMAN (20-25% UP FROM COST) THEN I TELL THEM TO SHIP IT, BUT THE PARTS DEPARTMENT WILL NOT HANDLE THE PART . DONT ASK ME ABOUT IT, DONT TELL ME TO UNLOAD IT, I DONT GIVE A RATS ASS ATTITUDE. BUT THAT IS MAYBE 1 A YEAR
marko65

Previous

Return to Parts Managers