Postby cwalden » Wed Jul 26, 2000 5:49 pm

Has any one attended or have people who have
attended such a class or know if GMs parts
counterman tests cover this subject.Any
good sugestions.
cwalden

Hazardous goods training schools

Postby MBailey » Wed Jul 26, 2000 9:53 pm

I have attended a couple of Safety-Kleen seminars on Hazardous Waste, which mainly focused on hazardous waste disposal, and the accompanying documentation to keep in EPA compliance. The main thing you need to be in compliance with (as per EPA) is the "Right-To-Know" OSHA standard. This is training given to any employee who comes into regular contact with any material that EPA deems as hazardous. You can get information about this from just about any of your chemical or oil vendors, or Safety-Kleen. Most of them will come in and provide Right-To-Know seminars for free.(Beware though, some of these "free" seminars are disguised sales pitches). As far as GM training, I was previously an Olds parts manager and don't recall seeing anything about it.

You should be OK with any regulatory body as long as your employees have received "Right-To-Know" training, and you have readily accessible, current MSDS documentation for all chemicals that you stock and sell. Regardless of who does the training, it is you who is responsible to document it properly and keep training records for this standard up to date.
MBailey

Postby cwalden » Thu Jul 27, 2000 1:24 pm

Im sorry,my stupidity is obvious once again.
Im inquiring about hazardous material
shipping ie (air bags,shocks,struts ect).
I was visited by a special agent from the
FAA inquiring about certificates we had and
who had documented training.
cwalden

Postby Tom N » Thu Jul 27, 2000 2:00 pm

I have been approached by specialized training persons as well. The major carriers (UPS/FedEx) require the use of hazardous materials papers in order to ship airbags, seatbelt pre-tensioners. We use the regular mail to ship these items. The post office takes liability on these items as long as they are packaged properly (packed in original packaging). This bypasses the need for specialized training required for filling our hazardous materials documents for shipping. For warranty purposes, Nissan motor corp requires airbags to be discharged before shipping.
Tom N

Postby Robert a Bamert jr » Tue Aug 01, 2000 10:47 am

Well first off the person who ships or signs for haz. is the responsible party so do not believe everything you hear. Second i've been to one of these classes and everyone should have aleast one person in your dept. who has this training. Also note out of a class of 20-30 people there was only one GM dealer Represented mine!Third you can get this training from a company called "Safety Regulation Strategies" and they can be reached at 800-SAFE-REG they are based out of Fredericksburg,VA , but they hold class in several states including NJ,PA,NY,call for more information.The classes run about $195.00 per $150.00 for add persons
Robert a Bamert jr

Return to Parts Managers