Help with WPC request with fuel containing parts

Help with WPC request with fuel containing parts

Postby Bearster18 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:45 pm

Can someone give me an example of a central transport bill of laden with parts containing fuel? I just recently got hazmat certified for my Auto group and I'm the only one that has a GM employee ID that is certified. I've been with the gm store 3 years and never had to send out a hazmat shipment. So I'm not going to lie I"m super confused about how to do this and I already got dinged by WPC for not sending a used fuel pump back the end of last year not hazmat. Can someone walk me through it or something? Do I need to put a hazmat placard on the box that I'm sending back to WPC containing a diesel pump repair parts?
Bearster18

Re: Help with WPC request with fuel containing parts

Postby ZOT MOLT » Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:45 pm

I sent back one last month and used UN3363. Under the description I type: UN3363, DANGEROUS GOODS IN MACHINERY. Under NMFC# I leave blank. Under class use 9. I did an internet search under NU3363 and printed the label, then enlarged it to 4" x 4" and taped it next to the label on the box. Also add your Hazmat phone # to the BOL. Ed.
ZOT MOLT

Postby TimK » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:26 pm

There is an overview is SI, read 99-0089-019Q.

Looks like the DEBIT machine is in high gear.

GM doesn't give a sh!t about getting these parts back, they just want another easy DEBIT if not shipped properly.

What great "business partners."

I got a request for some fuel injectors and a pipe last week.
TimK

Postby Bearster18 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:17 pm

ZOT MOLT wrote:I sent back one last month and used UN3363. Under the description I type: UN3363, DANGEROUS GOODS IN MACHINERY. Under NMFC# I leave blank. Under class use 9. I did an internet search under NU3363 and printed the label, then enlarged it to 4" x 4" and taped it next to the label on the box. Also add your Hazmat phone # to the BOL. Ed.

Next to what label on the box? Sorry my brain is fried. I'm running 2 ford parts departments and my new GM parts manager is needing help on this one. I'm toasted.
Bearster18

Postby Bearster18 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:18 pm

TimK wrote:There is an overview is SI, read 99-0089-019Q.

Looks like the DEBIT machine is in high gear.

GM doesn't give a sh!t about getting these parts back, they just want another easy DEBIT if not shipped properly.

What great "business partners."

I got a request for some fuel injectors and a pipe last week.

Exactly. Never once did I have an issue before and we've done TONS of these fuel contamination jobs. Now all of a sudden they want them all back!!!
Bearster18

Postby ZOT MOLT » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:24 pm

Bearster18 wrote:
ZOT MOLT wrote:I sent back one last month and used UN3363. Under the description I type: UN3363, DANGEROUS GOODS IN MACHINERY. Under NMFC# I leave blank. Under class use 9. I did an internet search under NU3363 and printed the label, then enlarged it to 4" x 4" and taped it next to the label on the box. Also add your Hazmat phone # to the BOL. Ed.

Next to what label on the box? Sorry my brain is fried. I'm running 2 ford parts departments and my new GM parts manager is needing help on this one. I'm toasted.

The Hazmat 4" x 4" label needs to be on the same side of the box as the shipping label. I just made my own shipping label to " Warranty Parts Center,
45 Northpointe Dr. Orion Mi.48359.
ZOT MOLT

Postby greenthumb-38 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:51 pm

We all need to stick together on this. My thoughts are that this is a revenue stream as mentioned above. GM is doing nothing to assist us, so we need to band together, share information and figure this out.

Here is what I am doing, and I appreciate comments and corrections.

First, I bought some hazmat boxes from ULINE dot com. They are 16” X 16” X 16” (ULINE# S-20405), which came with plastic liners, thick bags very similar to the core bags we can purchase from GM's 1-Store. I also purchased a roll of the DANGEROUS GOODS CLASS 9 stickers (ULINE# S-196). The boxes that the injector pump kits come in are not certified for HAZMAT shipping and from what I have learned, should not be used. We should be able to get reimbursed from GM for these supplies (wishful thinking ??). The WPC supplies hazmat boxes for battery returns, but not for these HAZMAT shipments ??

My packing process... I am HazMat certified, but I am no expert. Correct me please !!

- build the hazmat box and add a layer of cardboard in the bottom to add rigidity.
- lay several layers of the absorption mats in the box
- place the liner in the box with a few absorption mats in the bottom
- separate the parts to be returned into groups of injectors, small pipes, small parts and gaskets, and then large/long pipes.
- Double bag each group in smaller plastic parts bags, using an absorption mat in each bag, wrap with clear packing tape.
- Place the double-bagged parts into the box inside the liner, using packing material as needed to stabilize and solidify the parts.
- Close the liner and use a zip tie to secure. Stuff excess liner in and around the parts to stabilize and secure, adding packing material to secure the shipment.
- Add WPC paperwork and close box tightly with clear packing tape.
- Add the DOT “dangerous goods class 9” labels mentioned above to the outside of the box.
- Add the shipping name “DANGEROUS GOODS IN APPARATUS” and “UN3363” on the spaces provided on the box.
- Complete the bill of lading, marking the correct boxes and such for HAZMAT shipments. Also, add the emergency phone number, which oddly, GM does not add to the Central BOL template. I use the last line of the BOL.
- I add another line below the transaction number field describing the shipment. Something like, “ONE CARTON, USED AUTO PARTS, 16X16X16”

Remember, I am “just another beggar, telling another beggar where to find food”.
I am HazMat certified, but I am no expert.

Comments, corrections, and additions are welcomed !!
greenthumb-38

Postby 2017ROWDYRIG » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:38 pm

The label can be purchased through label master com putting a printed label on is a violation. As for as the packaging goes, It is the responsibility of each certified person in the dealership to obtain their own material and supplies. Each hazmat certified person in the dealership can look up the proper UN number, class and description for each item and the emergency contact number. 49 CFR book
Thank You

Jackie Spurgeon
Receptionist
Warranty Parts Center
248-371-9900
2017ROWDYRIG

Postby marko65 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:54 pm

JUST RECEIVED A PARTS RETURN ON A "FUEL" PRESSURE SENSOR. NO SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS, BUT IT DID COME INTO CONTACT WITH FUEL SO IT IS HAZARDOUS. 1 INCH PART GOING INTO A 53 FOOT TRUCK BECAUSE IT IS HAZMAT. HOW ABOUT OIL CONTAMINATED PARTS? OLD OIL IS HAZARDOUS ISNT IT? WE HAVE TO GIVE OUT NITRILE GLOVES TO PEOPLE THAT CONTACT OLD OIL. I GET A BOTTLE OF USED OIL EVERYTIME THEY PULL OUR OLD OIL. SO GM YOU HAVE JUST OPENED A CAN OF WORMS. I HOPE THE TECH THAT WAS HANDLING THE PART THAT WAS TURNING IN THE WARRANTY PART DID NOT HAVE OIL OR FUEL ON HIS HAND . IT CAME IN CONTACT WITH OIL OR FUEL

I RECEIVED A WARNING LETTER. WPC SAYS THIS PART SHOULD HAVE GONE HAZMAT
Last edited by marko65 on Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marko65

Postby marko65 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:36 pm

GM SUCKS
Last edited by marko65 on Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marko65

Next

Return to Parts Managers