In desperate need of guidance

In desperate need of guidance

Postby GOAT05 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:27 pm

Hello all at dealers edge. Im Bobby, I recently moved from working for the service department into the parts department this past December at my dealership. While ive learned a lot, there are just tons of things I do not know. Most recently, last week. My managers health took a turn for the worse due to a stroke. Leaving me the lone wolf to fight the herd. Im looking for any and all information regarding RIM, returns, warranty returns I can possibly get my hands on. Its kind of all left up to me at this juncture. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
GOAT05

Re: In desperate need of guidance

Postby JGROSS1978 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:57 pm

You are the only person in the parts dept? No w/h person? You can't do it all by yourself!!
JGROSS1978

Postby bigmac » Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:52 pm

Go the Center of Learning and search for what you are looking. You can find some useful information in all the propaganda
bigmac

Postby Parts007 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:09 pm

message sent
Parts007

Postby GOAT05 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:12 pm

Yes there were only 2 of us in the parts department. It's not a huge dealership, located in rural north east Oklahoma. But we are rather busy in comparison to most dealerships within a 50ish mile radius of us *truck country.* I haven't thought of using center of learning for the parts department, only used it for certain things in service. Ill check into that, but im trying to devise a cheat sheet, so to speak to get GM reports to finance and RIM orders/ returns squared away most importantly. Im sure im asking a lot, but.. Im in it to win it so to speak.
GOAT05

Postby gmsubparts » Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:31 pm

Rim returns are submitted on the 22nd of the month. Look under protection inquiry and click drop down for created, then accept.
gmsubparts

Postby bentwrench54 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:32 pm

Bobby:

Welcome to the edge. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to drop me a private message. I'll answer any questions you have to the best of my ability.

I took over my department in the middle of May last year, and have officially been the manager since June. I inherited quite a mess that I'm still cleaning up in ways.

Best thing you can do as far as RIM is call the help desk and ask for Adam. Have him call you sometime where you can talk about the basics of RIM and how it works. I just called him today for a refresher on how to do something.

Be friends with other parts managers in your area. They can also answer questions quickly.

Best of luck to you! And keep in mind. Don't take the job home with you.
bentwrench54

Postby PartsPlant81 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:08 pm

Unfortunately at least for me I had to learn most of the things that I found work best by trial and error but if you want to send me a message any time for guidance on a particular question or issue I can try to explain it to the best of my ability through a message.

For me the best way to learn is by actually being shown then doing it myself or figuring it out by trial then implementing it; but there is so much involved in running a parts department especially if someone has never worked in one before that the best way to learn would be to shadow someone that has a lot of experience and knows how to run it the way it is supposed to run.

I have trained a couple of people in our organization here and even after a couple of weeks of training they are still looking like a deer in the head lights and calling asking questions but that is ok. It is a lot to take in especially all at once.

Best I can advise to start is call the RIM help desk to get up to speed on that; do as much Center of Learning Parts Management training as possible and call OE Connection if you use them to get familiar with that.

That will be a great start for you then you can focus on actually managing the inventory properly which is what I spend the largest % of my time on as it provides my department our largest return on investment at the end of the year.

Good luck. Message with any questions.
PartsPlant81

Return to Parts Managers