WHOLESALE BUSINESS

WHOLESALE BUSINESS

Postby nbeckhart23 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:09 pm

Good morning all just curious if anyone has a formula to calculate the ROI of your wholesale business. Meaning whether or not you are losing money or staying profitable. thanks in advance.
nbeckhart23

Re: WHOLESALE BUSINESS

Postby PartsPlant81 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:43 pm

I don't have an exact formula but I can pretty much guarantee between the discounts, cost of the drivers, cost of counterman, and the non-returnable returns we get back...
WE ARE LOSING BIGTIME!
Last edited by PartsPlant81 on Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PartsPlant81

Postby Zep33 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:27 pm

if you're a GM dealer or any other with a shitty return program, and not one of the big boys, you're probably losing.
Zep33

Postby lochstein » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:21 pm

pro tip: you're losing money
lochstein

Postby JJS » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:45 pm

I pretty much agree with the others but if your looking for a formula here's the one I'm familiar with.

Take your total sales and subtract the gross profit - this result is your total "cost of sales." next, divide your total expenses by the cost of sales. This result is technically what percentage you need to mark every part you sell up just to break even. Unless you sell from cost up and use a fixed percentage many parts typically will sell for a higher percent and many will sell for a lower percent - this is an average.

Next, take your wholesale sales and subtract wholesale gross profit - this equals the "cost of sales" for your wholesale business. Multiply this times the "percentage to break even" you calculated above. The result is how much gross profit you needed to generate on wholesale to break even. Now figure out what percentage of your total sales is wholesale. Multiply this percent times your purchase discounts - this is the amount of discount that is attributable to wholesale.

Add your gross profit on wholesale to this percent of purchase discount - this is how much gross profit you actually generated against that portion of the expenses. If you generated less gross and purchase discount than the calculated portion of expenses, you might want to reconsider your wholesale philosophy.

Once you have this number, which I have found over the years (at least in my area) to run between 15-25% depending on how much debt the DP expects the parts department to carry. You have to decide what percentage above this is a reasonable return to the dealer as well as what percentage is competitive in your market. Some dealers have left wholesale completely and eliminate the expenses related to it; such as a delivery vehicle, a driver, liability, counter persons(s), computer expense, inventory holding cost, storage and the big one managing all the returns especially with domestic dealers who tend to be a little closer to each other.
JJS

Postby scott2112 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:11 pm

I have given up on wholesale. We have one of the largest wholesale dealers in the SW just 10 miles from us. They sell and deliver at cost+10. Throw that together with GM parts available on Amazon and I am left with mainly service customers. The front counter is dead yet, CP service is thriving. I am good with that. The ROI on wholesale was nil.
scott2112

Return to Parts Managers