wpc part request hazardous material

Re: wpc part request hazardous material

Postby Parts007 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:07 pm

So i just received a return request for a fuel injector. i figured it would be classified as hazmat, however when i type the number into the gmspomsds website, it is not listed as Hazmat. i am a little dumbfounded and figure however i ship it back, i will be wrong.
Parts007

Postby Parts007 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:16 pm

Parts007 wrote:So i just received a return request for a fuel injector. i figured it would be classified as hazmat, however when i type the number into the gmspomsds website, it is not listed as Hazmat. i am a little dumbfounded and figure however i ship it back, i will be wrong.

answering my own question. from GCUS-9-7300:

Any part that comes in contact with flammable liquid (i.e. fuel) is considered a hazardous material.

Example: If a fuel line received from the parts warehouse is considered new and unused, it is not considered a hazmat material. However, if the same part has been installed in a vehicle and has been in contact with a flammable liquid (i.e. fuel), it is now considered a hazardous material and should be shipped under the 49 CFR Hazardous Material Regulations and sent via Central Transport (US Dealers).
Parts007

Postby TimK » Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:24 pm

Parts007 wrote:So i just received a return request for a fuel injector. i figured it would be classified as hazmat, however when i type the number into the gmspomsds website, it is not listed as Hazmat. i am a little dumbfounded and figure however i ship it back, i will be wrong.

exactly

they don't want the part back, they just need an excuse to debit you for the claim.
TimK

Postby Parts007 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:26 pm

TimK wrote:

exactly

they don't want the part back, they just need an excuse to debit you for the claim.

SO now i have to purchase a "hazmat" certified box and order the proper labels just for this one WPC request.
Parts007

Postby LOKI1 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:23 pm

What I don't understand is how they can debit you back if it's shipped without the proper procedure's being followed. Would that not be an issue for DOT ? Is GM acting as an agent for the government?
LOKI1

Postby TimK » Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:29 pm

Parts007 wrote:
TimK wrote:

exactly

SO now i have to purchase a "hazmat" certified box and order the proper labels just for this one WPC request.

You can print the hazmat label off the internet.

You don't need a hazmat certified box for a fuel injector.

Be sure and dot your i's and cross your t's or you will get the warning letter or a debit.
TimK

Postby TimK » Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:32 pm

LOKI1 wrote:What I don't understand is how they can debit you back if it's shipped without the proper procedure's being followed. Would that not be an issue for DOT ? Is GM acting as an agent for the government?

It's a shakedown, plain and simple.
TimK

Postby gmsubparts » Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:22 pm

I shipped my hazmat fob battery on the 4th and wpc received it today the 23rd. Only in our final notice for claim to be debited.
gmsubparts

Postby PartsPlant81 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:12 pm

We started saving all of the boxes that we receive that have Haz Mat labels on the box.

I had to ship a couple of fuel pipes to WPC last month and I shipped them back in airbag boxes that we had stocked up here. The boxes had the 9 label and I just crossed out the UN # on the box and wrote the proper UN # above the label.

We did not get debited back.
PartsPlant81

Postby JGROSS1978 » Thu May 09, 2019 4:00 pm

PartsPlant81 wrote:We started saving all of the boxes that we receive that have Haz Mat labels on the box.

I had to ship a couple of fuel pipes to WPC last month and I shipped them back in airbag boxes that we had stocked up here. The boxes had the 9 label and I just crossed out the UN # on the box and wrote the proper UN # above the label.

We did not get debited back.

Did you use UN3528?
JGROSS1978

PreviousNext

Return to Parts Managers