Recall Parts Management

Recall Parts Management

Postby CMG » Wed May 01, 2019 3:26 am

Does anyone out there have a good system in place for managing recall parts?

I am looking mainly for our FCA stores as Parts are always on restriction and demand is high and we usually cannot order enough to meet customer demands. We may have 100 customers this week looking for a certain recall part. When they are on restriction we cannot order 100 we may be only able to order 5 this week. So ordering on an SOR does not work great due to the fact it sits as unordered.

I am at a loss as to actually use a computer and manage this inventory.

Please - any help -ideas -examples will help us all i think.Any input will be greatly appreciated.

I should say I am in Canada and perhaps it is not a US issue but is a huge issue here.
CMG

Re: Recall Parts Management

Postby Zep33 » Wed May 01, 2019 4:07 pm

Spreadsheet and lists - first come first served. Advisors give you name and VIN and add them to list
Don't make appt until part is in hand.
If they miss their appt date, it goes to the next guy in line and they go to bottom of the list. No exceptions.
No robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Had to do that with Toyota airbags for the longest time.

It works...
Zep33

Postby CMG » Wed May 01, 2019 7:00 pm

Thank you - looks pretty simple and easy . and looks Great all at the same time.
were you using a google share spreadsheet so all have access ?
CMG

Postby Zep33 » Wed May 01, 2019 7:27 pm

No, but that's a good idea. We just kept it in parts on a clipboard. I would just let the advisors know when their parts were in.

We also use body shop tape with the name and date of appt on each part. Makes it easier to clean up the no shows when you see the date right in front of you.

It really just takes good communication between parts and service and I'm lucky here at Toyota
Zep33

Postby PartsPlant81 » Thu May 02, 2019 1:00 pm

When we had the dreaded ignition switch recall a few years ago I had an Excel sheet with "Part #, Customer Name, RO #, Date Received" to track it and would keep the advisors updated when the parts were received.

We dealt with that mess for about 2 years and it worked for us.
PartsPlant81

Return to Parts Managers