Lee Iacocca

Lee Iacocca

Postby CHUCKINPARTS » Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:22 pm

Lee Iacocca has passed at the age of 94. RIP Lee……….
I wonder what he might say about GM’s current affairs?? He was one of the true car guys…. He was someone who I think would say, we sell cars and trucks and after that we sell parts and service. Simple as that. I think GM needs someone who can stop this crazy fortune teller way of stocking and selling parts. Look at how many times you have to get involved after RIM screws up and leaves you short or wondering why you have to have another bin for cabin filters. GM seems to be following the same rules. They don’t warehouse any inventory and they have to shoot parts from all over the country because they can’t keep up with demand. Then when someone notices their FEDX bill and says OH BOY… then they make excuses and the level of service goes to hell. NO SHIT. They need to stop the voodoo inventory controls and get back to teaching, sourcing,cascading test sources, days supply, re order points, stocking levels,safety stock, part life cycles, phase in,phase out and on and on. These thing need to be taught to parts people. I have been fortunate to have taken a lot of training classes with Jim Jackson, Glen Klaver and numerous other instructors, all through corporation training. Enough of this crystal ball approach and get back to incentives for parts mngr to watch their inventory. Hey …….you wanna buy one your price is $$ but if you wanna buy a hundred I will give you a great price and return reserve……AHHHH the good old days.
Don’t get me wrong……. They built some real junk back then. They also started the SUV world with the minivan……so it wasn’t all bad.

RIP Lee
CHUCKINPARTS

Re: Lee Iacocca

Postby X476 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:00 pm

I started with Chrysler in 1992 and became a Parts Manager in 2000 went to alot of those same Jim Jackson courses. Using those practices I had a $500,000 inventory with less than a 5% obsolescence. When Mopar switched to ARO it change how we played the game but they still used decent parameters. GM pulls guidelines out of its ass and expects it to work.
X476

Postby bigmac » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:01 pm

I keep seeing on the Global Connect page "Leadership Message". If GM had real leadership, like Mr. Iacocca, we wouldn't be in such a mess right now. People at GM like to talk the talk, we need them to walk the walk.
bigmac

Postby brparts » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:33 am

GM has gotten rid of anybody that knows how to run the company. that started on the decline in the late 80's and have not figured how to fix it. to many college educated idiots.
brparts

Postby partsguy99 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:45 pm

brparts wrote:GM has gotten rid of anybody that knows how to run the company. that started on the decline in the late 80's and have not figured how to fix it. to many college educated idiots.

That's about the time the real car people got pushed out and the Bean Counters took over. And their still in charge, even after going Chapter 11.
partsguy99

Return to Parts Managers