Wages and pay plans

Wages and pay plans

Postby AIIVESINCE85 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:51 am

We work with a dealership that has implemented fantastic changes and in doing so increased their gross profit considerably over the past two years. The additional gross profit isn't necessarily due to increased volume through the door and more so due to tweaks with policy, procedure, etc. The countermen's pay plans are mostly commission based with some salary; the plans have not been altered since before these changes too place, so, their earnings are projecting to be much higher than the industry averages. Keep in mind that due to how we created this additional revenue, the workload within the department hasn't increased at the same rate as the gross profit.

Question is, when the red flag goes up and the GM says "John Doe made how much last year!?", how would you handle that situation? Anyone willing to share their pay plan strategies?

An argument would be that departmental personnel expense to gross percentage as well as total expense to gross is on-par with the industry benchmarks; the sales / gross figures per employee are also being met or better. So, as is, no changes are technically necessary. However, I do understand that striving to increase net gross is important for the company, and there should be some limitation on wages for a position when all things are considered. Considering doing a forecast then presenting a capped commission plan with fixed salary and a monthly bonus potential based on YOY growth or other metrics. I don't want to get away from commission all together because the incentive to hit benchmarks would be lost for some.
AIIVESINCE85

Re: Wages and pay plans

Postby Zep33 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:40 am

We will be moving to to an hourly rate, commission and a bonus based on meeting forecast soon as our state laws going into effect in September will require some drastic changes. Not looking forward to it.

I got everyone off hourly just last year and redid everyone's plans to cut back on overtime pay which was the big corporate issue at the time. It didn't save them any money really but it looked better since I had averaged everyone's pay including the overtime to come up with a base salary that included the overtime. Now our state won't allow it after Sept. :(

12 guys over 3 stores to deal with

It's been recommended to me to keep their pay about the same and just move things around to satisfy the regs.
Zep33

Return to Parts Managers