CDK DS function

CDK DS function

Postby B964 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:15 pm

DS is supposedly an alternative to PS for inventory adjustments but with ability to have reason codes for adjustment. I have read over how it supposed to work but it does not seem to.
For example if I wanted to minus a qty it would prompt for a reason. The reasons are set up in MSOA.
Anyone use DS and could you walk through an example?
B964

Re: CDK DS function

Postby B964 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:21 pm

Also what if any advantage is DS other than reason code?
B964

Postby LivinDaDream » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:24 pm

B964 - in MSOA, you need to go to the "options" screen and answer "require adjustment reason" to "YES" and then it will work. Of course, your counter people may need to log-off and back on again.

Cheers !!
LivinDaDream

Postby FixedManager » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:59 pm

DS is to post an inventory adjustment, PS to post a transaction.
FixedManager

Postby B964 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:19 am

LivinDaDream Thanks. I forgot the log-off / on part. I'll try again in am.
B964

Postby B964 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:28 am

FixedManager wrote:DS is to post an inventory adjustment, PS to post a transaction.

So remind me...... PS will record a minus QOH as a transaction and DS will record it as an adjustment. The PS will be looked at as a sale for stocking criteria and DS won't?
B964

Postby marko65 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:25 pm

SO I STARTED A CHAT WITH "CDK" ABOUT A year ago for the same thing. of course they don't no squat. I asked if there was a app I can use so I CAN MAKE ADJUSTMENTS. THEY SAID THERE WAS NO APP THAT I CAN USE PURELY TO MAKE ADJUSTMENTS THAT DOES NOT SHOW A SALE TO GM. HAVE I BEEN LIED TO? PROBABLY
marko65

Postby FixedManager » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:23 pm

B964 wrote:
FixedManager wrote:DS is to post an inventory adjustment, PS to post a transaction.

So remind me...... PS will record a minus QOH as a transaction and DS will record it as an adjustment. The PS will be looked at as a sale for stocking criteria and DS won't?

Correct, it is a function that is decades out of date and should've been eliminated.
FixedManager

Postby jdpetey » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:59 am

Neither DS or PS should be accessed by anyone other than the PM. Inventory increases or decreases should only occur through receipting, invoicing, repair orders or MSR(manufacturer returns).

The frequency with which it is necessary should be minimal. I use DS to adjust for things that would not warrant receipts, such as OP, a generic number for the cost difference on warranty repair orders for parts obtained where GM will reimburse added cost. Also for EXCHANGE, another generic part number for radio, cluster exchange allowance. The OH is usually zero, so it goes to a negative OH. Zero cost as a generic number.

Other than examples like that, when all parts personnel have access to those functions, you will DEFINITELY end up with never ending discrepancies in your inventory. Employees with less concerns for inventory accuracy will indiscriminately make adjustments without ever inquiring as to why there is a discrepancy.

Figured this out 20 years ago and told the office manager to TURN OFF both DS and PS for anyone not responsible enough to care. Had a lot of push back from counter personnel originally, but I realized they didn’t understand ALL of the ramifications of using these functions.

RPM (Report Plus/Minus) can be run monthly to review any manual adjustments made through these functions. The monthly value of these adjustments also TOTALS in the MGR Report if anyone is monitoring. Ideally the value should be as near to zero as possible. If it’s excessive, you have a problem.
jdpetey

Postby lochstein » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:05 pm

so what exactly should DS and PS be used for? I use PS to adjust inventory periodically, should i be using DS?
lochstein

Next

Return to Parts Managers