CDK DS function

Re: CDK DS function

Postby jdpetey » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:16 pm

The only time I find it necessary to use DS is when we have generic part numbers for items that do not have an OE number that usually have no cost, so the plus/minus value is a moot point.

Have not found any purpose for the PS function.

For example, part number FRT, which we use for overnight freight charges. We don’t normally have an OH, which goes to a negative OH when charged out. Using DS to bring OH back to zero.

The only other exception that IMHO is necessary would be when performing ‘routine’ physical counts of the fast moving oil filters or the like, which have a tendency to be improperly charged out on occasion. Whether or not corrections warrant DS adjustments is a judgement call based on the discrepancy.

When we have discrepancies, THERE’S ALWAYS A REASON. If the proper receipting of emergency purchases, WD purchases and regular orders are input properly, along with properly charging out parts and doing MSR returns THE RIGHT WAY, the need to manually adjust inventory should be minimal.
jdpetey

Postby lochstein » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:19 pm

of course the adjustments are minimal, but i was wondering; for example: i have to make an adjustment due to a posting error, or a supercession issue, etc...
lochstein

Postby jdpetey » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:50 am

Oversight on my part. Did not think of some of the more infrequent situations.

As far as a posting error, if a positive increase needed to be reversed due to a posting error, I would use the MSR function with the part number as the app number and put ‘receipted in error’ for the description. Clear the return and that would relieve the OH. No sales history would be recorded. This also works for emergency purchases that get reversed if the sale is lost or canceled after receipting and part returned to vendor.

As far as supersessions are concerned, the only time it gets tricky is when you have an OH under the old number and a new order is posted under the new number. If delay PNC’s are used, and the new order is placed by RIM to meet current SPQ, I prefer that we show an OH of the old number in stock, as well as an order for the new number. They may have different costs and RIM will still protect old number with higher cost. As long as orders are monitored for supersessions, proper receipting will avert the need for an inventory adjustment.
jdpetey

Postby AIIVESINCE85 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:44 pm

Do you have access to MSR? We turned off PS and DS due to abuse. MSR requires a reference, reason, etc. More detailed, for what it's worth.
AIIVESINCE85

Previous

Return to Parts Managers