"GM parts shortage: UAW workers want a day off"

"GM parts shortage: UAW workers want a day off"

Postby PartsOnBackorder » Mon Oct 09, 2023 1:01 pm

This is getting stupid now at this point , I'm going to put some comments here that everyone is thinking but no one wants to say .

As usual a tiny fraction of people effect the vast majority . There are 146,000 UAW workers that currently are involved with the UAW for GM Ford and Stellantis . According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics there are currently 4.3 million people in the auto industry . Why on earth would we as a country , an industry and a workforce allow such a small percentage of people control or destroy such a large vast majority portion of the employment . Now Shawn Fain can cry his blues all he wants and preach that " we are doing this for the country everyone will benefit " ............. NO ........... no one is benefiting except for the workers who are currently working for the UAW ........ No one else in the automotive industry is going to be getting 40% raises, COLA , 32 hour work weeks , 5 weeks vacation , pensions , retirement health care , etc... list goes on and on . NO one else is going to get any of these benefits , pay raises or anything from him pushing his agenda .

His war against the OEMs isn't going to benefit anyone but his own pocket and theirs . The rest of us auto employees are going to end up loosing money from lack parts to fix vehicles , technicians loosing time , loss of productivity , loss of sales , employee lays off from lack of work , companies closing etc.... Meanwhile the rest of us in the auto industry are now having to deal with price gouging from dealers , pars availability , pissed off customers for both mechanical and collision , warranty vehicles cant get repaired etc..... I would love nothing more than to start sending all these people the direct phone number to Shawn himself so they can call him an asshole , a liar , a rip off etc.... ALL THE FUN WE HAEV TO DEAL WITH !! The amount of anger and frustration from the consumers is at all time high. Between to stupid high prices that keep going up more and more every month , the normal issues of parts shortages to now this !? Wait until this is all over and watch the pricing skyrocket for vehicles and parts now ....... everyone aggravated at the pricing now HA !! Wait and see

NOW I'm not saying they don't deserve any increases ....... that is NOT what I am saying at all . Everyone deserves something , but I know if I was to walk off my job I would be fired ...... period ... there would be someone else in my spot the next week . There is a way to go about doing things to get this stuff done .... this is not it .

Shawn Fein is using these people as pawns in his own entertainment show for his own gains. He is center stage and he is loving every piece of it ...... he IS one of the rich class and he knows it .

The OEMs are going to bow and give an agreement at some point but you will see a progression of automated systems , job losses , outsourcing etc.... their jobs will all be gone in within 10 years .
PartsOnBackorder

Re: "GM parts shortage: UAW workers want a day off"

Postby Denise Trimble » Mon Oct 09, 2023 2:56 pm

PartsOnBackorder: Your points are well made and certainly agreed, however, I think most of us have been utterly consumed with parts procurement and putting out the fires which leaves no time to sit and type. I read the GM suggested article in the Detroit Free Press and glanced at a few others in their web site; and they're interesting as well as full of key information.
Denise Trimble

Postby Denise Trimble » Wed Nov 01, 2023 6:11 pm

Story Time: Let's hear some of your strike related stories, good and bad, regarding part(s) procurement for the franchise faithful of the world!
*I had a customer this past Saturday, 10/28/23, who called for a part. I told him a dealer shows it who is about 1 1/2 hours away, gave him the part # and the other dealer's phone#. This customer was willing to pay whatever it took and drive over to get it. These numbskulls told him they would only sell it to another dealership. He calls me, with this news, around 8:05 Monday morning. I call this dealer by 8:15 and make the arrangements to not only purchase the part, but have them overnight the part because the customer was desparate for it. The guy said he would see that it went out that day, took my credit card info, e-mail and assured me it was handled!
The part was not in before I left work at noon yesterday, but that carrier delivers after 12pm most days, even asap packages.
This morning I call them, only to find out they not only didn't send it out Monday, as promised, the carrier changed delivery from this morning to tomorrow morning, tenatively of course.
*Every time we are able to fill an order for OEC or another dealer, we do it. If it doesn't have a name on it, it's yours. Every time.
*I don"t care who you are, whether you bought your vehicle from us or not: your money spends with me.
Denise Trimble

Postby AlanHomes » Thu Nov 02, 2023 7:12 pm

I have probably made more use of the D-D Link the past two months.....................
Lets say I need 12697806 and 12 dealers across the US show in stock
I would pick each dealer by clicking on the + sign and create an order
It would show the 12 dealers, add any comments, usually "Can you let go, if so call and obtain CC number, etc"
It worked 99% of the time, I would either get an e-mail of No I cannot let go or Yes, please call and we will conduct business. Or a telephone call of the same.

Did some bartering of parts, one dealer needed part xyz and I needed part abc. Both were on backorder from Joe Biden on the planet Pluto with no ETA. Help me and I will help you.

The worse one was a fleet vehicle that needed an EBCM, tried to get our DMA involved. Answer was "Due to the work stoppage we are unable to escalate spac cases". What a bunch of bullshit. My response was "Customers, particularly fleet customers that work for a living do not give a rats ass about your strike. They are unable to work due to your laziness". Never heard a word back, but did get a call from a dealer that was NOT on the locator asking if I still needed the EBCM.

We did get rid of some of our old inventory that was eventually going back on RIM next year or were stuck with, through SPAC cases or other dealers in desperate need.

Talked to several "old school" parts managers and countermen, had a few good laughs and war stories. Had to use the company credit card, he explained that I had to sign a form, e-mail it back, include if I wear boxers or briefs. I immediatly interrupted and sad "Neither, I wear crotchless" Thought he was going to have a stroke from laughter. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
AlanHomes

Postby Denise Trimble » Fri Nov 03, 2023 5:33 pm

I admit, it has been nice to talk to some of these people again, as well as find some who have gotten re-located!
Denise Trimble

Previous

Return to Parts Managers