HANDING OUT PART NUMBER

HANDING OUT PART NUMBER

Postby olepartsguy » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:38 pm

WHATEVER DEALER THAT IS GIVING THE PART NUMBERS OUT TO YOUR SUPPOSED CUSTOMERS.

THEY ARE NOT YOUR CUSTOMERS.

THEY ARE THE CUSTOMERS OF THOSE INTERNET WHORES THAT DONT HAVE A CREW BEHIND THERE WEBSITE.

WHOEVER YOU ARE QUIT YOUR JOB. YOU WONT HAVE ONE SOON. THIS JOB IS BECOMING MORE BOTHERSOME THAN ANYTHING.

YOU OUT THERE THAT WORKS FOR FREE GIVING OUT PART NUMBERS. I NEED SOMETHING FIXED AROUND THE HOUSE FOR FREE.
I NEED CLOTHES WASHED . I NEED A MEAL COOKED. PLEASE SUBMIT YOUR RESUME. I ONLY CALL UPON THE PROFFESIONAL.

YOU OUT THERE THAT PAYS 1000 A MONTH FOR A CATALOG JUST TO GIVE FREE INFO PLEASE SUBMIT YOUR INFO HERE I WILL PUT IT OUT ON THE INTERNET . YOU WILL DEFINITELY GET MORE CALLS AND MAYBE A FEW SALES, BECAUSE YOUR SO NICE.
olepartsguy

Re: HANDING OUT PART NUMBER

Postby CADLOU » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:22 pm

While I agree the issue is not people giving out the numbers. It that there are dealers that sell on the internet to the general public cheaper than a wholesale customer can buy from us. Then to make matters worse, how can you blame the dealer when the very company that you have to buy from sells online below what you can buy it for. Then that same seller will knock your socks off if you buy it from someone else other than them! This business has become more cut throat than ever before. Small dealers, get the shaft, they don't have the space, or the business to buy truckload or to buy the special deals that is done.
CADLOU

Postby bsnyder723 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:50 pm

I have 1 standing rule... Do not give out part numbers! Period! That being said, if its a discontinued part I may give the customer the option to buy it from another dealer that shows the part on OEC. But I would try to get the sale for my dealership first. There are some wholesale customers I will give part numbers to for their estimates, but generally I will not give out part numbers. I will try to price match online if at all possible just to try and get the sale.
bsnyder723

Postby Whatsyourvin » Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:35 pm

I'm not entirely sure where I stand on this subject. I use a judgement and my gut when the customer is standing in front of me. If I feel they may come back...I will write the part # down on my business card or print a quote. This way it saves me, or any of my colleagues time if the customer comes back vs. having to look it up again. If the guy balks at the prices and I know he's not buying...I pull the "Sorry GM catalogue and part # information is proprietary information that we pay a large amount of money every year for" and that usually works. I will never give out a wrong part # though or some variation of a part # with random letters added. If it's a truly discontinued part that I am 100% certain I can't get...I will gladly provide the part # as typically it's someone who is really in a jam and I don't mind doing that.

That said, we also run an online site that we field email and text requests on daily. The only way to get a customer to buy a part is sending them to a page where the part # is clearly displayed. So we have no choice here. Even then, with our aggressive pricing as a Canadian vendor to be competitive with RockAuto, Amazon, US dealers with better pricing etc...we get complains about being "too expensive".
Whatsyourvin

Return to Parts Managers