Selling below dealer cost transactions

Selling below dealer cost transactions

Postby AIIVESINCE85 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:37 pm

Just a feeler. If your parts department sells something below cost, ie aged inventory, how do you usually process the transaction? We will usually make a customer facing invoice for their payment [so they have a record of purchase] and then a balance invoice for the controller to handle on the back end.
AIIVESINCE85

Re: Selling below dealer cost transactions

Postby bsnyder723 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:36 pm

We sell it on one invoice, below cost, and note it on the accounting copy that it was discounted X%
Haven't had any problems yet with the office.
bsnyder723

Postby greenthumb-38 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:08 pm

bsnyder723 wrote:We sell it on one invoice, below cost, and note it on the accounting copy that it was discounted X%

we do what snyder says... in addition, I set up a salesman number called "Liquidation Sales" and any of the below cost sales go to that man number so the counterman doesn't feel the pain, which is my preference.

-gt... "Your Mileage May Vary"
greenthumb-38

Postby bsnyder723 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:59 pm

greenthumb-38 wrote:
bsnyder723 wrote:We sell it on one invoice, below cost, and note it on the accounting copy that it was discounted X%

we do what snyder says... in addition, I set up a salesman number called "Liquidation Sales" and any of the below cost sales go to that man number so the counterman doesn't feel the pain, which is my preference.

-gt... "Your Mileage May Vary"

My guys get paid on the department gross, so it doesnt hurt them like it would if they were paid on what they sell individually
bsnyder723

Postby CADLOU » Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:01 pm

We sell it just like any other part. We just sell at the discount and not messing with the cost. Since my guys are paid on a weird pay structure it does not hurt them and it keeps the accounting all nice.
CADLOU

Return to Parts Managers