gm parts catalog

gm parts catalog

Postby olepartsguy » Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:27 pm

Is anyone using a parts catalog for GM that is not Crap on business solutions? This catalog is getting worse every update. I run a server with 5 desktop catalogs, when the last update hit the door I updated it. We have had major problems with it and were told to run the Global Disconnect EPC. so we have been . Once a week I try the server version out to see if they have fixed the problem. Well I guess its been longer than a week since I last checked it . I am 32 days since my last update, So I ran it, 2 days ago it is still running. I called tech support. this is what they tell me, It may run till Friday. 5 days for a update. Lucky I have the option to use the Global EPC. WTF. I have to find something lighter on my computer and lighter on my pocket book. I should just use Repair Link and get rid of the Snap On Parts catalog. all of my old/current customers are using it to get part numbers maybe I will make the switch
olepartsguy

Re: gm parts catalog

Postby JGROSS1978 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:38 pm

Going to be March before it gets fixed so I have been told.
JGROSS1978

Postby Parts007 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:53 pm

I am a dealer member of the GM Parts Catalog Advisory Board. My updates run for days like its getting locked up and i have called and complained. They tell me its actually updating. I was also told wait for the March update. But from what i understand it wont be until late March so we probably wont see until April.

My server based parts catalog also locks up and closes all the time. Sometimes I cannot reopen. Not everyone is having this problem. I was told the update will fix this but they supposedly have a patch they could install in the meantime. I have requested the patch we will see if I get it.

Snap on said they would have released the update earlier but wanted to address all of these concerns.
Parts007

Postby smoyer » Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:03 pm

We went with the online version through global we did away with the server option we hardly have any issues
smoyer

Postby Fixed Ops Mgr » Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:12 pm

We have the server version with 5 licenses and have nothing but problems with it. Every update that they do makes things get worse and the update takes longer to run each time. I was so fed up with the server that back in December my counterman and myself
starting using the online version within GlobalConnect and seem to have very very few issues with the online version. We have found that the speed on the online version is much faster that the server also and it rarely crashes for us. I know one thing is for sure...we will
not be subscribing to the server version any longer when our contract comes up this summer...we will just subscribe to licensing for the online version.
Fixed Ops Mgr

Postby Denise Trimble » Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:30 pm

We were told there could possibly be a fix sometime in March. Ours have been upgraded to the "new" catalog, but have NEVER updated. Sometimes the catalog won't open, or seizes completely; then I just use the link in EPIC on GlobalConnect. Using that one seizes my entire desktop no matter which browser I open it in. To quote on of my former DMs: "It is out of my hands!" Just tuck n roll, people, tuck n roll.............
Denise Trimble

Postby bsnyder723 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:45 pm

Do you need licenses for the on-line catalogs? And if so, how much of a savings is it vs the Snap On licenses? We are currently with Snap On and as you all know it costs a small fortune every month and if its a good savings, I'm interested. My only fear is when global is down, so is my catalogs!!
bsnyder723

Postby olepartsguy » Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:21 pm

bsnyder.

The licenses you purchased through Crap on Business Solutions are good for the gm Global Disconnect EPC. As for the update it is still running and running and running. Hopefully this weekend it will be done.
olepartsguy

Postby smoyer » Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:34 pm

bsnyder723 wrote:Do you need licenses for the on-line catalogs? And if so, how much of a savings is it vs the Snap On licenses? We are currently with Snap On and as you all know it costs a small fortune every month and if its a good savings, I'm interested. My only fear is when global is down, so is my catalogs!!

We pay125.00 per license they also offer a thumb drive that you can load onto the pc in case the internet goes down, but like anything else when the web goes down your screwed our dms and everything else is tied to the web
smoyer

Postby camaroman » Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:37 pm

My understanding was you had to have a Snap On Catalog contract to be able to access the Global Connect EPC. It would be great if we could eliminate the Snap On contract.
camaroman

Next

Return to Parts Managers