dealer track stock return category

dealer track stock return category

Postby dstewart291 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:56 pm

coming from cdk, my previous manager was fantastic with teaching me the ins and outs of cdk (thank you Jim) unfortunately, I now am working with dealertrack, which is a little more difficult for me to navigate after 6 years of cdk. I am trying to correct some inventory managing my current manager is not. He has no sra (stock return) bin or location he just puts them in an open shelf and deleted the stock return bin. Now i am not going to step on his toes and do it anyways. the plan is making me manager of our parts dept. and i cannot not have a sra bin/location. my issue is how do i get a report set up in dealer track to give me a report or is it as simple as adding a sra bin into the system and running a report on said bin?
dstewart291

Re: dealer track stock return category

Postby FixedManager » Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:25 pm

I am in full agreement with you that just putting items on an unnamed shelf is not a good practice, however neither is a "Return" shelf. I have yet to work with a company that used the dedicated return shelf for anything other than daily returns that didn't have obsolescence values higher than they should have. A special holding area is appropriate only for wrong picks, damages, order overages, delivery errors, etc., never for items you'd like to return on the next monthly return.

The most appropriate way is to bin these items on your normal shelves and enter the location in your DMS. As you generate your monthly return it you always ask for it to look at your aged inventory first to ensure your inventory is working for you and these additions may sell before aging out. Now I am not saying that you cannot send items back prior to them aging out as there will always be exceptions, headliners come to mind (size), but return accrual is too hard to come by to waste.

If you think I'm wrong that's okay but remember that math doesn't lie. If you dedicate your return accrual to items that are in the >12MNS status you will be eliminating items with a 2.3% chance of selling. If you send back an item that was special ordered you are sending back an item with a 15%-65% chance of selling. Which set of odds helps you maintain a cleaner inventory over time?
FixedManager

Postby HondaD » Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:19 pm

Recently made the switch from CDK to dealertrack after 20 years. It's a disaster. I have created a bin that I dedicate to my monthly returns.Put everything in that bin on the return then go through inventory that is obsolete.
HondaD

Postby dstewart291 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:37 pm

FixedManager wrote:I am in full agreement with you that just putting items on an unnamed shelf is not a good practice, however neither is a "Return" shelf. I have yet to work with a company that used the dedicated return shelf for anything other than daily returns that didn't have obsolescence values higher than they should have. A special holding area is appropriate only for wrong picks, damages, order overages, delivery errors, etc., never for items you'd like to return on the next monthly return.

The most appropriate way is to bin these items on your normal shelves and enter the location in your DMS. As you generate your monthly return it you always ask for it to look at your aged inventory first to ensure your inventory is working for you and these additions may sell before aging out. Now I am not saying that you cannot send items back prior to them aging out as there will always be exceptions, headliners come to mind (size), but return accrual is too hard to come by to waste.

If you think I'm wrong that's okay but remember that math doesn't lie. If you dedicate your return accrual to items that are in the >12MNS status you will be eliminating items with a 2.3% chance of selling. If you send back an item that was special ordered you are sending back an item with a 15%-65% chance of selling. Which set of odds helps you maintain a cleaner inventory over time?

No, I completely agree, at the last department our return bin was used for wrong ordered parts, be it wholesale, tech, sales, or parts error. it was not a holding area for parts I wanted to and plan to send back that stayed in inventory until it got to its allotted time in the inventory before added to a stock return, but not added to the bin for a return. If that makes sense. but items with allowing sales history they go back into a stocking shelf not a holding and area added to the return.

the math helps I managed that department for a short time so I have PLENTY of space to learn and grow so the additional info helps.

My main concern (at least with this) is my manager at the moment removed the sra bin all together and any accidental orders or anything under our description of returnable parts he just adds on the bottom of a shelf near other items. as i said if there is sales history of a few sales within the 6 months that says it makes sense to keep by all means makes sense, but it is every part and nothing goes into return bin which bugs me.
dstewart291

Postby lastminuteracin » Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:31 pm

I keep stuff like that in a separate source. It goes in the bin it belongs because sometimes it does sell. Come return time I just run a list of that return source and deal with it as I see fit.
lastminuteracin

Postby dstewart291 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:41 pm

yeah, i did not have a return source only a bin labeled as such and could sell out of the bin obviously. i just want to organize and get the department back in order dealer track is a pain, i feel counts are always off. when doing my daily bin checks it does not seem to remove parts form the count that are on invoices or repair orders. Unless the items are just that off but who knows. there's more than just a sra to address but that's just a glaring issue I would like to correct so i have somewhere to put things that we don't stock or don't meet the criteria to stock for order errors or what have you.
dstewart291

Postby lastminuteracin » Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:21 pm

Dealercrack should reduce qtys OH when it is billed on a repair order. It doesn't however do it for items on a parts invoice that has not been cashiered yet. That may be your issue. It's stupid but then again it's dealercrack.
lastminuteracin

Postby dstewart291 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:22 pm

lastminuteracin wrote:Dealercrack should reduce qtys OH when it is billed on a repair order. It doesn't however do it for items on a parts invoice that has not been cashiered yet. That may be your issue. It's stupid but then again it's dealercrack.

going through inventory a bin a day i think that is a very big issue being used to cdk if on a ro it takes it out of stock technically so you cant double sell. dealer track does not seem to do this as you said so it throws inventory off greatly when trying to check counts since we have a large shelf full of repair order parts on hold and a customer shelf with parts set aside .
dstewart291

Return to Parts Managers