Any Volkswagen parts managers for newbie?

Any Volkswagen parts managers for newbie?

Postby Joust84 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:24 am

I’m moving on from managing a General Motors parts department. I’m excited for the challenge of learning a new manufacturer, but I’ll be very green. Any advice or helpful tips out there?
Joust84

Re: Any Volkswagen parts managers for newbie?

Postby Parts007 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:58 pm

There are VW people in here, wish they would speak up. Sorry I cannot offer any advice as I am GM also. I wish you great success in your new manufacturer. I always thought to myself that it would be tough for me to switch manufacturers as I know GM so well. Cataloging, procedures, etc.... even though they are a huge PITA.

What are your thoughts in moving away from a manufacturer that you know well?

I happened to stop at a VW lot today to check out the new ID4. Pretty sharp.
Parts007

Postby X476 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:57 am

What are your thoughts in moving away from a manufacturer that you know well?

I moved from GM to Subaru 2 weeks ago and best move I have made in years. So much easier and more pleasant to work with. I had to call Subaru's "SPAC" phone answered on 3rd ring by a real person that wanted to help me!
X476

Postby Parts007 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:46 pm

X476 wrote:What are your thoughts in moving away from a manufacturer that you know well?

I moved from GM to Subaru 2 weeks ago and best move I have made in years. So much easier and more pleasant to work with. I had to call Subaru's "SPAC" phone answered on 3rd ring by a real person that wanted to help me!

Good to hear! Enjoy the move
Parts007

Postby dstewart291 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:30 pm

i am in process of training to become our vw parts manager, coming from acura.
dstewart291

Postby smoyer » Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:54 pm

Parts007 wrote:
X476 wrote:What are your thoughts in moving away from a manufacturer that you know well?

Good to hear! Enjoy the move

Not as big of a deal as some might think i have been Parts manger for gm,hundai,subaru,saab,daewoo, and a counterman for ford they all have their little quirks and they all suck in their own ways but once you figure it out it is like the old saying goes parts is parts currently at our gm store
smoyer

Postby B964 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:21 pm

I have been PM for 18 different manufactures and some aftermarket operations over my 35 years in this.

If I had my pick VW would be top choice with Subaru and Kia a close second and third.

VW has it together. Catalog, inventory, technical assistance, customer service, DPM support, programs, returns, training, etc etc. (at least they did a couple years ago)

My best advise is get into their "Tribal" thought patterns. Learn it and live it. Sometimes difficult to change your American thought process to German.
You will be surprised to find that VW, like Subaru, knows that what is good for the dealer is good for the customer and is good for them. Not like GM that is all about GM.
B964

Postby JeepGuy » Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:50 pm

B964 wrote:I have been PM for 18 different manufactures and some aftermarket operations over my 35 years in this.

If I had my pick VW would be top choice with Subaru and Kia a close second and third.

VW has it together. Catalog, inventory, technical assistance, customer service, DPM support, programs, returns, training, etc etc. (at least they did a couple years ago)

My best advise is get into their "Tribal" thought patterns. Learn it and live it. Sometimes difficult to change your American thought process to German.
You will be surprised to find that VW, like Subaru, knows that what is good for the dealer is good for the customer and is good for them. Not like GM that is all about GM.

Although I have not worked Volkswagen I can say that I am PM for 2 stores since 1999 and over 40 yrs in the business. 1 store is Chev/Cad. and 1 store is Subaru. I agree that Subaru is by far better than any manufacturer I have worked with. They actually understand the need for Dealer's to be profitable and successful and their programs show it!!!
JeepGuy

Return to Parts Managers