Laser cut key machines

Laser cut key machines

Postby stevejm71 » Wed May 05, 2021 8:55 pm

Our dealership is looking into getting a new laser cut key machine. Do any of you out there has any advice? Which ones are good, which ones to stay away from, etc. We are a Chevrolet and Cadillac dealer. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
stevejm71

Re: Laser cut key machines

Postby camaroman » Thu May 06, 2021 12:36 pm

We have a BDLaser here since the Cobalt recall. Works well, the only draw back was the cost of the cutting bits $175.00 for one. We ended up finding an alternate source where we got 10 cutters for the cost of 1 from Barnes and have had no issues with them.
camaroman

Postby PartScott » Thu May 06, 2021 1:30 pm

We bought the Futura Pro back in August. A little quirky to get the machine set-up initially (uses a wi-fi connection between the tablet and the machine itself) but has performed flawlessly for us.
PartScott

Postby C8RFAN » Thu May 06, 2021 1:42 pm

We have to Futura NA (I think we got it before the pro was a thing), we use it for lasers and its great, it has a tablet on top of it, and works great. We had to replace the tablet (this year) but it was just a Samsung tablet (Guy said any android tablet will work just have to load the Silca app)

We still use the old black machine for B106 style keys, its dying slowly, but it works great. I haven't done too many "normal/b106" style keys on the Futura but my counterman uses it for that.

I would not hesitate to buy another Futura/Silca machine for a second
C8RFAN

Postby olepartsguy » Thu May 06, 2021 7:13 pm

WE HAVE THE BD LASER HERE. I HAVE NEVER CHANGED THE CUTTING BIT. WE CUT QUITE A FEW KEYS DAILY AS WELL. WE TRY TO USE THE OLD KEY MACHINE FOR AS MANY KEYS THAT IT DOES.(OLD STYLE NOT MILL CUT) THE DRAW BACK WITH THE BD LASER IS THAT IT WONT DO THE BRAND NEW (20-21 TAHOE-SUBURBAN) I READ HERE SOMEWHERE ON THIS FORUM THAT THERE IS A MACHINE THAT HANDLES IT ALL AND YOU DONT HAVE TO CHANGE JAWS OR THE CUTTER. WE PAID AROUND 9,000 FOR THE BD LASER. AFTER 3 YEARS WARRANTY EXPIRES AND THEN YOU HAVE TO PURCHASE THE UPDATES.
olepartsguy

Postby PartScott » Thu May 06, 2021 7:55 pm

We came in at just under 8K for the Futura Pro and we haven't had a key yet that we couldn't cut on it.
PartScott

Postby olepartsguy » Thu May 06, 2021 9:13 pm

Part Scott.

Have you tried the new 21 Tahoe key? the head is at such a stupid angle that you can cut one side then flip over and cant do the other side.
olepartsguy

Postby PartScott » Fri May 07, 2021 12:53 pm

olepartsguy wrote:Part Scott.

Have you tried the new 21 Tahoe key? the head is at such a stupid angle that you can cut one side then flip over and cant do the other side.

I have not yet. Looking at the design of the key and the way the jaw/cutting head is set up on the machine, I don't see it being an issue.

I could be wrong though, as it is a very awkward looking key.
PartScott

Postby PartScott » Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:54 am

Just had my first '21 Suburban key yesterday. The Futura Pro handled it like a champ. 8-)
PartScott

Postby joecool17 » Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:17 pm

We have the Futura Pro. Best investment we've ever made so far. I have yet to see it fail. It is a little different as far as being user friendly. To my understanding it is made in Italy. Now if GM can get us some blanks and quit this precut order deal it'd be great. I can't stand telling someone that they'll have to wait 7-10 business days for a key, when under normal circumstances I could cut one off the shelf in less that 5 minutes.
joecool17

Next

Return to Parts Managers