Gm accessories not covered by warranty?

Gm accessories not covered by warranty?

Postby Eggs2bacon » Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:04 pm

Parts department here, every now and then our warranty clerk will tell parts to remove parts from a warranty RO. It’s usually when there’s a GM accessory part that we got from our ADI, they installed the part, and shortly after the part messed up. Our warranty clerk claims that gm express/ADI parts are not covered under warranty and we have to eat those parts. Surely this cannot be true, but when I call ADI, they tell me to go through the warranty clerk since it’s a GM part.help please
Eggs2bacon

Re: Gm accessories not covered by warranty?

Postby Fixed Ops Mgr » Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:30 am

Your warranty clerk is completely wrong on this. Have them look in GM SI Labor time guide and the hyperlink "General Information" does a pretty good job about explaining how to claim for accessory parts when they fail. If your store installs a GM accessory before or during the new vehicle delivery process then that accessory is covered under the 3/36 base warranty of the vehicle and if a customer purchases an accessory over the parts counter later and they install themselves, then that accessory is covered by a minimum of 12 months unlimited mileage warranty.

We have these claims come up every now and then and we always submit the claims into the GM GWM systems and they get paid. The parts department does not eat the costs. That is an old way that was the case many years ago. It does not matter if the accessory is ordered through the ADI or if you order it from GMSPO.
Fixed Ops Mgr

Postby Parts007 » Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:29 am

BUT................................if it was one of those Associated Accessories, it's NOT covered by GM Warranty. It is only covered by the individual manufacturers warranty.

We just had one the other day: Technician trying to install window deflectors 19420511 and there was a blemish on them as he took them out of the box. So you cannot order another set thru your ADI, you must return them thru Lund and they will send you another set. BS if you ask me
Parts007

Postby PartsPlant81 » Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:12 pm

Once they are installed you will need to contact the manufacturer directly. The phone # is usually in the catalog. I have had to call LUND and Truck Hero more times than I would like to admit for window deflectors and tonneau covers.

It is a pain having to deal with a third party but they just have you fill out a form with all of the customers information, VIN, part #, etc. and they will mail you a replacement part directly.
PartsPlant81

Postby camaroman » Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:17 pm

I have had discussions with our DMAs over the years about this situation. In my opinion It is not fair for us to have to jump through the hoops with the vendors. If GM wants to sell these parts they should warranty them like any other part. Let them go back to the manufacturer for the part. Oh well one can dream right. LOL
camaroman

Postby olepartsguy » Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:35 pm

Parts007

I would push the ADI to send another and let them deal with the manufacturer. If they want to play that way you can always order it yourself and let them know that you can. For the most part you can order 1 set of something right from GM and have it quicker. I have done so waiting on what they say is a backorder. There backorder means they are waiting to order a truck load and have not had enough stuff yet. I ordered 84676693 step tubes from them . they said it would take a few weeks or more I checked the locator it showed vendor stock I ordered from GM and received in about 5 days. BEWARE though check your UNITPACKS. Remember keep the control. don't give it to ADI. without you they are nothing. Despite what yuu might have been told you are a CUSTOMER of ADI. And yes I have had to call the manufacturer to warranty something and made nothing when the part came in for free. tonneau cover part. Labor was covered
olepartsguy

Return to Parts Managers