WPC Engine Hazmat question?

WPC Engine Hazmat question?

Postby scott2112 » Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:03 pm

Has anyone sent back an engine to WPC? If so, I assume the engine sealed in its bag, placed in crate, and labeled correctly as Hazmat will suffice??
scott2112

Re: WPC Engine Hazmat question?

Postby PartsPlant81 » Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:41 pm

Parts007 is an expert on this. Send them a message if they don't reply here.
They have helped me in the past with Haz Mat questions.
PartsPlant81

Postby Parts007 » Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:18 pm

I haven't sent back an engine for years and i was looking for the paperwork to reference. I couldnt find. Read below how they want you to prepare package.. Make sure you attach the proper ERG to the drivers copy of the manifest. I found UN3363 Dangerous Goods in Apparatus and also UN3528 Engine internal combustion flammable liquid. **KPA shows engines as UN3166** I would definately email the WPC and ask them.

***Make sure you have an up-to-date Hazmat training course before you sign the manifest.***

THIS IS FROM HAZMAT BULLETIN ON PREPARING PACKAGE:
Engines

Engines that have been run or “hot tested” (i.e. had fuel in them) are considered hazardous material or dangerous goods. Therefore, if the Service Agent is contacted to return an engine, they should ensure the following preparation:

Drain ALL FLUIDS
Transfer all shipping plugs from the service engine to the returning engines, or cover open cavities with tape.
Lower the engine into a plastic bag to ensure capture of any residual fluid leakage, place a drainage mat onto the base of the original service engine shipping container (box or pod), and place the bagged engine into the original service engine shipping container.
Bolt and strap the engine to the supporting pallet and cover with the appropriate lid.
Attach all corresponding documentation outlined above in the section titled preparing / packaging parts for shipping.
Parts007

Postby Parts007 » Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:24 pm

I was curious, i emailed the WPC and this is the reply i got from the WPC (pretty quickly i might add):

when you generate the shipping label choose the Central Transport Hazmat BOL and mark the line for UN3528. Follow the screen shot below from bulletin 99-00-89-019V for returning engines and you will not need labels. NEVER use a flammable label.
Parts007

Postby scott2112 » Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:47 pm

Parts007 wrote:I was curious, i emailed the WPC and this is the reply i got from the WPC (pretty quickly i might add):

when you generate the shipping label choose the Central Transport Hazmat BOL and mark the line for UN3528. Follow the screen shot below from bulletin 99-00-89-019V for returning engines and you will not need labels. NEVER use a flammable label.

I may have an older guide...UN3528 shows to be flammable liquid powered, thus using the flammable liquid placard. What placard should be used?
scott2112

Postby Parts007 » Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:00 pm

BUT That answer of theirs (WPC) goes against DOT shipping regulations.....i see the conundrum, since i have started the conversation, i will send another email. While I am waiting for my email reply, i did find the "Limited Quantity Exception" ... Maybe thats the answer. Who knows
Parts007

Postby scott2112 » Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:29 pm

I loathe Hazmat. My rep instructed me to ship this as Hazmat. Whereas, the last engine I sent was not. (with no penalty) I was recently debited a warranty claim. The issue being we had
a two transaction claim...one for an injector the other for a NOX sensor. WPC requested the NOX which was repaired at the same time as the injector by the same tech. After the repair those parts sat in a bag together until WPC requested the
NOX (approx a week). There is a some fuel vapor on all the components, so I send them back as HAZMAT. I get dinged because the NOX isnt considered HAZMAT.

Just gets old. lol
scott2112

Postby Parts007 » Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:33 pm

wpc person was a little peeeved with me for asking for clarification. They said no label!

Engines that have been run or “hot tested” (i.e. had fuel in them) are considered hazardous material or dangerous goods. Therefore, if the Service Agent is contacted to return an engine, they should ensure the following preparation:

Drain ALL FLUIDS
Transfer all shipping plugs from the service engine to the returning engines, or cover open cavities with tape.
Lower the engine into a plastic bag to ensure capture of any residual fluid leakage, place a drainage mat onto the base of the original service engine shipping container (box or pod), and place the bagged engine into the original service engine shipping container.
Bolt and strap the engine to the supporting pallet and cover with the appropriate lid.
Attach all corresponding documentation outlined above in the section titled preparing / packaging parts for shipping.

NOTE: Engines returned exactly in this manner, will NOT require and additional or special hazardous material packaging or labels (unless shipped by aircraft or from Canada) reference US DOT 49 CFR 173.220 (this section is a book in itself!)
Parts007

Postby Parts007 » Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:36 pm

scott2112 wrote:I loathe Hazmat. My rep instructed me to ship this as Hazmat. Whereas, the last engine I sent was not. (with no penalty) I was recently debited a warranty claim. The issue being we had
a two transaction claim...one for an injector the other for a NOX sensor. WPC requested the NOX which was repaired at the same time as the injector by the same tech. After the repair those parts sat in a bag together until WPC requested the
NOX (approx a week). There is a some fuel vapor on all the components, so I send them back as HAZMAT. I get dinged because the NOX isnt considered HAZMAT.

Just gets old. lol

WOw sometimes you can't win!
Parts007

Postby scott2112 » Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:41 pm

So....no UN3528 labels on the box? In the immortal words of Lando Calrissian "here goes nothing!"
scott2112

Next

Return to Parts Managers