GM Parts Sources

GM Parts Sources

Postby pushit7 » Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:09 pm

Good morning. I'm wondering how many you guys have on your parts sources. Since I took the job I've only know 3-4 such as 101 (stock), 103 (tires), 104 (bodyshop), 106 (SOP), 203(lubricants-AC Delco) Then I found out that we have 102 and 108 and who knows what else out there. How can you figure out exactly what parts goes to what sources and do we need that many sources? We're using CDK. Thanks for your time
pushit7

Re: GM Parts Sources

Postby C8RFAN » Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:29 pm

Our 2 stores have always used this :

1 GM STOCKING PARTS
4 TIRES
5 PAINT
7 BATTERIES
9 MOC
10 AIR/CABIN FILTERS
11 OIL FILTERS
12 ACCESSORIES
13 MATRIX
14 MATRIX
15 NS SPECIAL ORDER
16 NON RIM MANAGED PARTS
18 CHEMICALS
19 OIL

But I still havent fully mastered sources, I only barely get it enough to get by :(
C8RFAN

Postby PartsDanager » Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:26 pm

Sources are there for your own usage. If, for instance, you didn't want lubricants with ACDELCO stuff, you might rename the source in MSSO and create a new source for the other, then batch change the lubricants by group.

Be careful doing this, sources can control price matrix, inventory relief, stocking strategies(non-RIM), etc.

If you want to know what the previous management that set up the sources were up to, try the following:
Go in to MSSO and print "ALL" source controls and descriptions.
Check out ULT to see what part price codes are set to each labor type.
You can also check OSPC and run the report tab to see if there are sources with specific price codes within inv/ROs.
You can set up price break escalation per source is SPBE. If you choose to change anything here, make sure your service team is on board and you don't blindside them by tripling the cost of bolts or something weird.

Truth is, there isn't one right way to source parts. It is, however, the basis for pricing structure, replenishment, and accounting. Having your sources match your business model (and make sense to your people) is what matters most.

I encourage you not to make any large changes until you can see how small changes affect your business.
Be very careful making changes to Tires and oil, as most dealers separate out these sources to relieve from a specific inventory account.

Good luck, I'm sure there is more to say as the 'back end' of parts is deep and feels convoluted. I recommend looking at service connect articles about the functions I mentioned above before diving in too deep.
PartsDanager

Postby olepartsguy » Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:33 pm

With CDK you can change the sources one month , but when GM sends a Price file they always change it back. so good luck with that.
olepartsguy

Postby C8RFAN » Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:33 pm

PartsDanager wrote:Sources are there for your own usage. If, for instance, you didn't want lubricants with ACDELCO stuff, you might rename the source in MSSO and create a new source for the other, then batch change the lubricants by group.

Be careful doing this, sources can control price matrix, inventory relief, stocking strategies(non-RIM), etc.

Copied all of this for future reference, Thank you.
C8RFAN

Postby pushit7 » Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:41 pm

Thank you so much. It is not complicated but so much items to put in different sources. Once you don't even remember what source you put.
pushit7

Return to Parts Managers