inventorying Sales Supplies

inventorying Sales Supplies

Postby Fixed Ops Mgr » Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:31 pm

Yesterday the dealer came to me and asked me if I would be interested in ordering and keeping the supplies that the sales staff use inside the parts department for better control and managment of them? I'm talking about things like license plate frames, license plates, key tags , hang tags, and several other items used by sales. He tells me the current problem they are having is that we have 4 stores within a 15 miles radius of each other and each store's sales managers or other salespeople are just ordering these supplies at will and he feels that there is no control or management of these type of items and he has no idea what is happening with these such as how much is being wasted, lost, double orders and so on. He just wants better control and oversight for these items with someone he can trust to try and get the situation under control.
Is anyone else in parts ordering and controlling these items and what drawbacks or negative effects does this have on your parts department if any? The dealer did say that I would markup these supplies according to what I think is fair to compensate my department so this would not be done for free. I am also not sure how much markup that I should tell him that I would want to oversee this.
Can anyone give me thoughts on this process and how I should respond to this request? I am thinking that it would be a way to add a little more gross to the parts department but I am sure their will be headaches involved here to. I would like to hear if anyone else is doing this for the sales department and find out how they handle the process.
Thoughts??
Fixed Ops Mgr

Re: inventorying Sales Supplies

Postby brparts » Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:04 am

i controlled most of what you have listed and it reduced that cost to the dealer. we had open parts tickets for the new and used car departments with a mark-up go 25%. only the sales manager could request any of the supplies and let us know the name of the person picking them up. a lot of sales people did not like it, but it reduced the expense by $15,000 a year and added around $3000.00 to my GP per month.
brparts

Return to Parts Managers