Increasing efficiency with better tech

Increasing efficiency with better tech

Postby PartsDanager » Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:42 pm

When I first started my job as a counter man, it took me a year and a half to convince anyone that I could do my job more effectively with dual monitors. The reality for me was that having a catalog on one screen and a DMS on the other really is just faster than maxxing and minning a tab.

That being said, outside of DMS upgrades, what tool do you have at your counterpeople's disposal that is unconventional but effective?

I know this is a broad question but please feel free to throw anything at me. It's nice to have ideas from outside of my own little ecosystem now. Thanks!
PartsDanager

Re: Increasing efficiency with better tech

Postby Parts007 » Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:29 pm

I created my own intranet homepage for all the webpages I use on a regular basis. It is written in plain HTML with some CSS. It is on a server for all parts persons to use. I have also given this webpage to many local dealer parts departments in my area.
Attachments
HOME2.png
HOME2.png (242.34 KiB) Viewed 2490 times
HOME1.png
HOME1.png (294.44 KiB) Viewed 2490 times
Parts007

Postby PartsDanager » Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:49 pm

Wow. That is awesome. The parts portal we all dream of. I have a shared folder with important documents, printable forms, and my own excel with sales info and projections. I'm probably capable of learning to write simple HTML (in fact I did some very basic stuff but 10 years ago or so), I would need to a local server to use for that. Could possibly use the same server we host the parts catalogs on. Hmmmm. Looks like I have research to do!
PartsDanager

Postby AlanHomes » Thu Aug 04, 2022 3:40 pm

I still use a filing cabinet that is eight feet in length, sits about three feet off the floor, has an open top with 8x10 cards, each card has a part number. As stock is depleted, the handwritten invoice is put into a basket, someone on a rolling chair makes adjustments on the corresponding inventory card. If stock shows it's at a reorder point, a yellow metal tab is placed on top of the card, if it has run down to zero, a red metal tab is placed on top of the card.

Back in high school, working in the New Car department after school, there was an "AutoPen", we called it a scripto. In another building where the sales office was a pad on a metal base with a pen that was attached to a mechanical arm. The same pad and mechanical arm was in the New Car shop. Whatever was written on the pad would duplicate in the New Car shop. Date, stock number, yes or no to undercoat, color, vehicle type etc. Even if someone wrote rude comments it would duplicate on the opposite end. It did not matter, whatever was scribbled out on one end would show up on the other end. I think it used a dedicated phone line.

Also remember in the sales office the fax cylinder that the user would place the phone handset onto a cradle, put the carbon paper and clean paper into the cylinder and it would spin round and round. Cool stuff.
AlanHomes

Postby PartsDanager » Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:02 pm

Parts007 wrote:I created my own intranet homepage for all the webpages I use on a regular basis. It is written in plain HTML with some CSS. It is on a server for all parts persons to use. I have also given this webpage to many local dealer parts departments in my area.

Do you think I could take a look at your code? Obviously I wouldn't have access to your server but getting an idea behind the framework would be a great start.
PartsDanager

Postby Parts007 » Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:18 pm

DO YOU KNOW HTML AT ALL?
Parts007

Postby PartsDanager » Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:47 pm

I took classes about 10 years ago. I have a very basic understanding at this point, but I'm a researcher. Also did a little CSS. I'd be doing this as much for fun as efficiency, to be honest.
PartsDanager

Postby PartsDanager » Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:49 pm

My idea at this point is basically to use your GUI, replace websites/folder paths/maybe color scheme and set up with our framework. With your blessing of course. I don't want to break your copyright :)
PartsDanager

Postby olepartsguy » Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:57 pm

DONT NEED 2 SCREENS. I USE ALT+TAB TO CHANGE SCREENS.
olepartsguy

Postby Parts007 » Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:23 pm

This forum won't let me post html code. I could put together a memory stick and mail it to you. It would take some time as this is a constantly evolving process of keeping it updated. Right now, it is not up to date.
Parts007

Next

Return to Parts Managers