Labor on over the counter sale to independent question?

Labor on over the counter sale to independent question?

Postby jdpetey » Thu Oct 27, 2022 4:14 am

Sold a set of lifters to a wholesale account, one side of a V8, along with the ‘one time use’ parts required to complete repairs. Short time later, shop states one of the lifters was defective. Yes, the ‘substandard’ active fuel management ones.

Without going into details at length, how do you approach this?

Transaction basically complete, but have an issue with manufacturer assisting with labor.

P&P states ‘Over the Counter’, 2 years, unlimited miles, ‘part only’.

Based on that scenario, how do you assist customer with labor?

I’ve challenged Powertrain Dept. on where responsibility for labor and you may be surprised at their reply.

How would you approach this situation? And, what do you suppose I was told, should have been done?

I will divulge their recommendations or ‘proper’ way that we ‘could’ have rectified this situation after hearing how others would have remedied this situation.

Their resolution was enlightening.
jdpetey

Re: Labor on over the counter sale to independent question?

Postby Parts007 » Thu Oct 27, 2022 1:29 pm

Had the same thing happen 2 months ago, same product.

The customer had two choices:
    1. parts warranty only on the defective part only. lifter only, nothing else.
    2. The customer could have called powertrain and started a case. With that case, the service manager could ask for GM participation.
Parts007

Postby AlanHomes » Thu Oct 27, 2022 2:48 pm

Parts007 wrote:Had the same thing happen 2 months ago, same product.

The customer had two choices:
    1. parts warranty only on the defective part only. lifter only, nothing else.
    2. The customer could have called powertrain and started a case. With that case, the service manager could ask for GM participation.

All the above, only had to do a few in my career, Powertrain might assist with labor, do not get in a rush, it takes almost a month to see anything.
AlanHomes

Postby jdpetey » Fri Oct 28, 2022 2:31 am

I knew how to process the part's warranty side of the transaction with the ZPTC option. I did request and receive approval for not only the defective lifter and ALSO the 'one time use' head gasket and bolts that were purchased on the original invoice. This was done through another invoice, not a repair order. We have an account set up in parts to charge parts to warranty. No labor.

I fully anticipated, rightfully so, the shop to inquire about labor. Sure enough, the question was posed. Based on P&P, I knew it was going to be an issue.

Knowing that, procedurally, there was not a way to submit a claim for the labor, I assumed it would most likley be a situation in which I would have to reach out to our DMA for a 'Special Policy' adjustment. So I typed out the circumstances on a company letterhead and sent it to my DMA. I did this before ever contacting him about situation.

His solution/recommendation was to contact Powertrain. So I did.

Just as I expected, they declined assistance.

Here's where it gets better. Basically, I was told if we had brought the vehicle to our shop and performed the repairs, we could have submitted a claim for parts AND labor. I was like 'What!". Where does P&P state that? The parts would have been covered AND our tech would have been paid for labor. Therefore negating the need for me to seek reimbursement for the independent shop.

I reiterated to the Powertrain contact, "Do you actually here what you are saying?".

This remedy, rightfully so, would, in my mind, only apply to complete engine, transmissions and transfer cases.

Our DMA, not as educated as myself, emailed me a screen shot of the P&P regarding 'parts and labor' in relation to complete assemblies, not referencing the basic GM parts 2 year unlimited, 'no labor' for over the counter sales, and couldn't comprehend.

So, I will still be pushing for a labor 'adjustment' through 'Special Policy'. In my opinion, it is ignorant for the manufacturer to NOT cover the labor in this situation.

Mental note for future reference.
jdpetey

Postby camaroman » Mon Oct 31, 2022 11:56 am

I have always disliked this part of my job. So many other aftermarkets are assisting with labor claims, why is GM lagging behind? I understand that procedures are to be followed when doing repairs, but most of the independent shops have access to all of the repair information already anyway. Plus most of us have dealt with these shops for a long time, not like they are fly by night operations, at least here in my area. LOL
camaroman

Postby olepartsguy » Mon Oct 31, 2022 7:04 pm

gm's thinking: BRING IT TO THE DEALER
olepartsguy

Return to Parts Managers