Bar code scanner

Bar code scanner

Postby PartsDanager » Thu Feb 09, 2023 4:37 pm

Does anyone here use a barcode scanner to check in freight? I know there is PartScan that is I think for heavy trucks. Wondering if anyone has used any outside vendor for this, if it's worth it, if it integrates with your DMS, etc.

I wouldn't do this if I was running a single franchise, but it might be a justifiable cost with two parts departments using the same shipping and receiving department.
PartsDanager

Re: Bar code scanner

Postby camaroman » Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:10 pm

We used to use a Wasp bar code scanner when we were on ACS. We switched to the dreaded Tekion in July and we use an iPhone as our scanner. I must say that is one of the few things that we haven't had problems with in Tekion.
camaroman

Postby understatedone » Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:11 pm

We use a company out of Michigan, Scan It Parts, just google them. We have AutoMate and integrates well. Pricing isn't as bad as you think and totally worth it even if it is a single franchise! Cuts down on time and mistakes almost completely!
understatedone

Postby PartsDanager » Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:37 pm

Thank you! I'm grabbing a quote now. Looks like it integrates with CDK as well.
PartsDanager

Postby ScottParts » Mon Feb 13, 2023 4:10 pm

understatedone wrote:We use a company out of Michigan, Scan It Parts, just google them. We have AutoMate and integrates well. Pricing isn't as bad as you think and totally worth it even if it is a single franchise! Cuts down on time and mistakes almost completely!

We're with Scan It also, with CDK. Had it for many years now. Had a few small issues over the years, and they've always been really helpful in fixing them. And, I'm sure there are a lot of features available that we don't use.
ScottParts

Postby AlanHomes » Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:13 pm

Scan It Parts here. Integrates with Dealertrack. After scanning in the order I print out the Scanned Parts report, this is compared with the packing list. Also print out the Employee list, this shows what came in for whom and compare it to the Special Order Parts report by employee in Dealertrack. Once you get the hang of it, have it done in no time.

Also works well for a perpetual inventory and can print bar codes for parts that are loose or in bags with smeared bar codes. One thing I have found is it will not always scan the bar code on the actual GM label but will always scan the bar code on the warehouse label. Important to do a quick visual when scanning, make sure the warehouse label is marked 25010792 and the GM label on the box is 25010792.
AlanHomes

Postby PartsDanager » Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:55 pm

I've been sending inquiries all week and no responses
PartsDanager

Postby AlanHomes » Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:05 pm

Call them up, speak to Heather
AlanHomes

Postby PartsDanager » Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:23 pm

Thank you for all the help everyone! I've got my scanner, my GM was sold on it pretty easily.

Side note, I thought all these contracts with companies were set in stone. I didn't realize this was negotiable in the slightest. I feel foolish but at least I'm waking up to a part of the world I didn't understand.
PartsDanager

Return to Parts Managers